Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I have a question about my fretless....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FractalUniverse, Feb 22, 2002.

1. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    When my luthier defretted my bass he lowered the upper bridge, it's comfortable to play, (open string) but the 1rst and the 2nd string have a buzz when they are played as open notes, i started thinking that it was normall but a week ago i played another fretless and open strings sounded clear and surprise the bridge was high as my bass was before. I'm confused????? My bass sounds good and it's comfortable, but......
    so here is the drawing....

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    1. That's the nut, not the bridge :)

2. Have a pro set it up. It might need the truss rod tweaked, or (hopefully not) the nut slots might be too low and need shims.

3. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    You mean the nut. Maybe he lowered it too much?

4. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    sorry its my english bridge = nut

5. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    But is it supossed to be lowered???

6. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    The nut on a fretted bass needs to be higher than the nut on a fretless, though the space between the string and the top of a fret could be about the same as the space between the string and a fretless board.
    If you defret a bass you will definitely need to lower the nut, how much depends on how high the frets were to begin with.
    Technically (as far as open notes are concerned), the strings at the nut could be all the way down to the board (after all, they're on the board when your holding down any other notes aren't they?), but it may be desireable to have a little air under the strings "behind" any notes that you're holding down on the board.

Did that make any sense? (I hope so, it does to me)