I have a Question about PC's. Kinda Technical

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Khemicals, Oct 24, 2002.

1. Khemicals

Oct 24, 2002
    Inside mHz
    Ok, I just formated my Primary HDD like I usually do every few months for cleanup.

I backed up all my documents, mp3's, programs, and other important items onto my slave drive. I got it all back on my primary drive now.

The only problem is that im big into modding my themes. I dont wanna use utilities like StlyeXP or Window Blinds because they cost money and use up system resources.

I use a patch produced by tgtsoft (the people that make StyleXP). Its called uxtheme.dll patch. The only drawback is that you have to modify windows.

Its a long and complicated project. I dont recomend the average user doing it. However I am going to school to be a Certified PC Repair Engineer. So I am very comfortable messing with things that most people didnt know, nor want to know, is there.

My problem is that I forgot to get my old uxtheme.dll patch, so its gone.

I could just download uxtheme.dll patch again from tgtsoft's site, But the version they have is for XP with service pack 1. I do not have service pack 1, and I do not want to have it. I know its free to download, but I do not want it.

So what I need is to find sombody that:

1) Has the uxtheme.dll patch for windows XP (not the service pack 1 version)

2) Knows where I can find the non service pack 1 uxtheme.dll patcher.

Any help would be extremely helpfull guys (looks at empty spot in respect list) I need my themes back!

Thanks in advance.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    This should be the right one:
  3. Khemicals

Oct 24, 2002
    Inside mHz
    That was a very quick, and very helpfull post. I got what I need now. Thanks alot, you saved my life! (or at least my themes anyways :p )

Im kinda bumed my first post on a bass forum had to be a PC question, I was gonna register anyways, I just thought I would see if sombody knew.

Well, If you wanna see my setup lookie i my profile. Im gonna go to bed so I can wake up to a day off and browsing these forums. :D
    Thanks alot JMX

- Khemicals
  4. Khemicals

Oct 24, 2002
    Inside mHz
    I cant get it to work. I dont understand. Last time I ran the patch, switched the names a bam, themse work. Now I just cant get it to work.

I dont know what Im doing wrong. Does anyone have any sugestions.
  5. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Good luck, as a software programmer, I feel your pain....

Thought: Could install SP1, backup all the files, perform your fix, and revert out of SP1. There is an option to go back, isnt' there? I thought that I had done it on other operating systems, but I haven't gone to xp cause 2000 is working fine, and I have this problem that whenever I upgrade, things suck until the first couple of service packs.......which.....why don't you want SP1?
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You can patch the dll by hand with a hex-editor.

I'll try to find a how-to.

[EDIT] read this:

Or do a google search, the patchers are not hard to find - "patch uxtheme.dll" or something like that.
  7. Khemicals

Oct 24, 2002
    Inside mHz
    That would be great if you could find the directions for me.

I was thinking the same thing abou tthe hex editor, Were doing stuff like that in school now, so its not too much of a pain.

The only thing is that I would need to find directions for the pre sp1 right? maybe not.

Anyways, I think you are a os modding robot sent from outer space to help me, You responded like 2 minutes after I posted both times!

Thanks for being so helpfull. :D
  8. Give up on XP and get a proper operating system. Just wait until Palladium comes out - you'll wish you'd gone to linux (or BSD allodox :p) sooner!
  9. Khemicals

Oct 24, 2002
    Inside mHz
    Im definatly not gonna use palladuim if the rumors about it are true.

I guess Im just stuck in the NT world for now, however Im thinking about duel booting linux and xp pro.

Well... Im gonna go try that hex editor thing, If I screw it up Im not in too bad of shape, since I just formated last night and still have all my files on my slave drive for easy backing up.

Ill post if it worked or not.

- Khemicals
  10. I keep win2k on another partition, just in case....so far though I've had no use for it.
  11. Yeah, that darn copy protection's a b***h ;)

Actually, unless you have some specific piece of hardware that does not function under SP1, I'd really reccomend you at least give it a shot (it's almost worth buying XP just for the stability of SP1 over stock!).