Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i have a question on chords

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by nate 0 jt, Apr 25, 2001.

1. i was reading a BP article on Todd Johnson and he plays a certain way that he can play chords and a bassline. he uses a six string and i dont have one yet, very soon though. my question is though, i play this technique on a four string, what two note chord possibilities do i have playing only with my ring and pinky finger on my left hand? (just on the D and G string) thanks a lot

nate

2. dblbassted

dblbassted

Mar 21, 2001
    Memphis, Tn.
    I don't want to steal Michael's thunder here, but you should check out his book "The Chordal Approach." It has exactly what you're looking for. BTW, Mike, I got my copy this week and used it with a student who, for the life of himself, could not figure out the head to Stanley Turrentine's "Sugar" that Michael Manring played on the bass day video. After showing him the book and a couple of augmented patterns and the right way to voice the m7 with the 9 in the melody, he came back the next day with it nailed. As a bonus, his subs were beautifully done. I'll be making an order for my students in the fall. Thanks for everything.

3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Nate,
    Check out my online lessons at my site, www.michaeldimin.com
    It is a pretty good intro to chords on bass and a preview of my book, The Chordal Approach. Check out my online lessons at www.bassically.net for some arrangements with real audio.

To answer your specific question, look for the notes that really define the quality of the chord, usually the 3rd and 7th.

Hope thins helps, also take some time to check out the site, I think it might be of some use to you

Mike