I have a question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by 74rickbass, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Can you use birdseye maple for a body?
    I never seen one before, but I would't think there would be strutual probs with it since it's basiclly normal maple, just with a wierd grain.
  2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    It's heavy, but there's no structural or technical reasons why you couldn't. Hasn't Warwick done that?
  3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I've got an Oddyssey with Bird's Eye body wings. It is HEAVY, seeing as it's solid maple, with a maple neck through and brass hardware, but it sounds great. It can be done.
  4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Many years ago, I built a fretless P with a solid birdseye body and birdseye/ebony fretless neck, both from the Warmoth thrift shop. It was pretty heavy, but as you'd expect, the sustain was great...

5. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    dave siff just had a custom curbow jazz built from a solid piece of bird's eye maple. looks really sweet...as to the sound? i dunno...he seems satisfied ;)
  6. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
  7. Jon Maghini

Jon Maghini Commercial User

Aug 15, 2002
    USA Terryville CT.
    Owner / Builder M Basses
    Did you give any thought to using the birdseye as a top, You can use a lighter wood for the core and add the maple as a top cap, This way the maple will still give you a bright tone,and you can also balence out the overall tone by choosing a core wood that suits your taste and keep the weight down...