Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I have a question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by McHack, Aug 14, 2003.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I'm unfamiliar w/ Trace Elliot bass amps, however I found a used Trace Elliot head at a local pawn shop. Thier "Music Guy" swears they're great, & it's "The same exact one HE uses".

Any input about these would be greatly appreciated.

2. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    OK, my experience of Trace Elliot gear is as follows:

I own an old (ten years or so?) AH240 (300W RMS) head which is in my dads garage somewhere waiting to be fixed. I used it for rehearsals and gigs for about a year.

I've played a newer AH240 in the studio and at gigs.

I've also played a 200W Trace combo ((2x20"), a Trace mini stack (4x8" + 1x12" or summit) with one of the valve and solid-state heads - and numerous other Trace elliot amps.

I have played ONE Trace combo at a gig that I liked - the gig was a music hire company do and the Trace was a brand spanking new one. I'm afraid I dont know what model it was.

This is strictly my opinion:

I think they stink!!!

IMO they have a metallic, tinny tone of their own regardless of how you play and what bass you play through them. They colour the bass sound such that if you like it youlre laughing, but if you dont you're cursed.

It's obviously a matter of personal choice, but in my opinion they are crap and I'm amazed people still play them.
    I won't spenmd my money on another Trace Elliot amp as long as I live.

If you're on a budget try looking out for an Ashdown MAG series amp or combo. They're the cheaper version of Ashdowns ABM range and they sound fantastic. Ashdown do a full range of medium sized combos up to full professional amps. Their amps soumds fantastic!

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Wow!!!

That's about negative as I could imagine. Thx for the GREAT input, you dislike & are quite explicit as to why.

All to often, you'll see equipment supporters & naysayers, you know,, the typical kid saying, "Those suck", or some other insightful blurb of nothingness.

I'll be sure to steer clear of this pending debacle.

4. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Yeah I hate 'em alright! :D

Although what I would say is try some out for yourself.
    It might well be that it's is JUST my tastes, or that the amps I played were old and the newer models are much better, I dunno!

That's just my opinion, so you should really make up your own mind. Got to your nearest new music store and annoy the staff by trying out every bass amp they have!

Right now I play through an iAmp600 which i got second hand for £800 - ao not exactly cheap, but it's the best goddam amp I ever heard. I sold an Ampeg SVT2 to buy it. Again just my taste though

good luck :)