1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

I have a serious issue with the G & L Headstock, wondering if I am the only one...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by InternetAlias, Mar 8, 2021.

1. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Somewhere
    It happens every time I consider buying a G & L or even look at a picture of one. Doesn't matter if it is even for sale. It has these extremely particular aesthetics that are obviously designed just to be different from a Fender headstock. I get all of this. Yet, every time I see it, I feel just... so in love. My problem is that others don't get it. I don't want to buy one because everyone will think I have bad taste. What can I do about it?

2. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Stick a paper bag over it when playing out. Call it an art installation.
    Or...
    Not give a damn what others think.

I'll admit personally I don't care for it but I'm an idiot.

3. Put a sign on the headstock, with an arrow, that says "My eyes are up here" No one will notice then. :roflmao:

Besides, you're a bass player, do you think anyone is looking in your direction anyway?:cool:

4. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    My problem with the headstock is that, despite its looks, you cannot open bottles with it. Well, you can, but no one in their right mind would.

Mr_Moo, tommyr01, TinIndian and 7 others like this.
  5. Rob1957

Rob1957

Dec 3, 2020
    Yes everyone will think you have no taste and are a horrible human being because the headstock on a bass is offensive to your sensibilities.
    Simple solution: don’t ever look at a G&L bass ever again
    Thank you

Mr_Moo, design, tommyr01 and 4 others like this.
  6. I also find aesthetics to be important, and find the G&L headstocks to be unattractive. Never really considered one based on that so you aren't alone OP.

7. ShawnG

ShawnG Supporting Member

May 2, 2020
    Ft Worth, TX
    0A89F4AF-57F2-43F8-A08B-D970967D5ACE.jpeg I also like the G&L headstock. Go figure...

Having it on an awesome bass makes it that much easier.

Mr_Moo, tommyr01, rmayer and 30 others like this.
  8. cxcxcx

cxcxcx

Mar 8, 2019
    Who cares? If you had an accurate idea of how little time other people spend thinking about the headstock on your bass or what kind of taste you have, you wouldn’t care either.

Rest assured that the only things people care about in a band is if you know the tunes, show up on time with functional gear, stay on the proper side of sober, and remain easy to work with.

Anyway, if you don’t like the hook on G+L headstocks, cut it off. Gives a smoother early G+L look!

9. MynameisMe

MynameisMe These aren't the effects you're looking for... Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Wide Open Florida
    G & L doesn't bother me so much but there are a few instruments I would not own just because they headstock was so ugly.

TinIndian and GravyGoodness like this.
  10. Not surprising that it is based closely on Fender, considering who designed both Fender and G&L basses.

If you are worried that people will think you have bad taste when it comes to aesthetics, don't worry. 99.9999% of people don't notice or care. Look at all the ridiculous aesthetics on the market, some costing thousands of dollars.

But there will always be closed-minded snobs in the remaining .0001%. You could have the first Fender P-Bass ever made and there will undoubtedly be a guy who will look down his nose at you because it's not a Jazz bass. Those people don't matter. Personally, I love seeing G&L's out there. It shows that people have considered their bass choice seriously and aren't afraid to show it.

11. ShawnG

ShawnG Supporting Member

May 2, 2020
    Ft Worth, TX
    I know, this is in the humor thread and I’m just using it as another excuse to post pictures of basses, but...

Here’s my lineup, side by side.
    Is the G&L really that off-putting compared to the rest? I get it that the Fender headstock is a classic, but they’re all really just riffs on the same basic design.
    In a perfect world, none of my basses would have a headstock, one less thing to bang into things.

FFA8DD49-ADF7-4252-9D52-DD278DDBD60A.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    Mr_Moo, dabis, CosmicRay and 16 others like this.
  12. ShawnG

ShawnG Supporting Member

May 2, 2020
    Ft Worth, TX
    To my eye, the original, Tele-style, Fender headstock is unattractive. I know, blasphemy...
    View attachment 4195332
    5713442E-9C58-4C14-A590-677BB524FA6C.jpeg

13. Leonid Nidis

Leonid Nidis

Jan 1, 2018
    I hate the way it looks but I got an l2500 anyway cos it was so good.

Dont worry about what others think,if you play well no one will care.

G&l do have some models with a normal headstock so I assume they can make it legally.
    The question is why wont they.

14. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    I expect to get over my dislike long enough to unbelt for a Fallout at some point.

petch likes this.
  15. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    IMHO it's one of just a small handful of Fender derivatives that actually looks good. Not quite awesome enough to make me seek it out just for the visuals, but I definitely wouldn't mind being seen with it.
    If the sound of the L-2000 had been more to my liking, I would have kept it and not given a hoot what anyone else had to say about the headstock.
    But then, I also sometimes wear Birkenstock sandals in public. So my judgment may not be objectively sound. :woot:

Mr_Moo and el jeffe bass like this.
  16. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Do you simply not like Leo Fender’s aesthetic?

17. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    The Gene Deer Band
    Get a few more years on you and you won't care what anybody thinks. It's one thing I love about growing older!

18. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Tijeras, NM
    Life will go a whole lot smoother for you if you cease to live by the expectation of others.

lz4005, PsyDocHill, retslock and 6 others like this.
  19. Do a Mononeon.

mononeon (1) copy.jpg

Mr_Moo, teh-slb, Outtaseezun and 18 others like this.
  20. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    This is a true statement

IMG_3134.jpeg

Mr_Moo, osv, TinIndian and 10 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021