1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

i have a situation (fender jazz) new purchase...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sadworld, Jan 10, 2012.

1. sadworld

sadworld

Feb 2, 2009
    michigan
    i am in the market to purchase my first fender american standard jazz bass. i want to give my friend who works at the local music store my business and he gave me the best price around but the bass at his store doesn't play or feel nearly as good as the competitors (guitar center). my bud says the bass has been in the store for 7 mos and prolly needed a neck adjustment and set up... how confident would you be that this would make it play like the other one?

2. BassDaddy77

BassDaddy77

Feb 12, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Only one way to find out... Have him make the adjustments and do a setup, then see what you think BEFORE you buy.

3. His store should do the setup first. If they do the setup and it plays as well as the one at Guitar Center for the same price, then that's a fair deal for both you and him.

4. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Maybe. What don't you like about it? Is the action ridiculous? Do the frets buzz?
    Every bass is a different animal, even basses from the same manufacturer and the same model.
    Suggest your friend have it set up by the tech, and then play it again.

5. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    Don't feel obligated to purchase that one if the feel is not right, go with the one YOU like, i'm sure your friend in the store will understand.

6. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Have guitar center call your friends place and match their price. Then promise to buy the next 6 sets of strings from his shop. His shop will make the same profit.