Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i have a small 15 b fender amp. what can i do to make it sound better? thanks

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cheesepuff921, Sep 26, 2000.

1. cheesepuff921

cheesepuff921

Sep 22, 2000
    i have a small 15 b fender amp. what can i do to make it sound better? thanks

2. kezekiel

kezekiel

Sep 24, 2000
    Cheesepuff, if you title your post with the nature of what you want, then you'll have better luck getting someone to help you out.

Kev

3. First, what do you mean by better? If this means deeper, or louder, then your best bet would be to trade it in on a new amp. I have a Peavy KB15 amp, a small keyboard amp, that I will sometimes bring with me wnen I am visiting distant relatives because it's small and light and travels easy. But this is only for my own private practice use in a small room. 15W only goes so far. (Which my relatives are greatful for.) But when I want better sound in my own home, or at a small sized gig, I use my 140w Hartke combo amp.

Greywoulf

4. Try putting it in a hallway or the bathroom.

5. ever think of hooking a cab up to it? thats what I did.. that made it sooo much louder =) but then I got the hartke 3500 (350 watts) and I only use my fender 15b when I'm in my room b/c I don't feel like lugging my head/cab up the stairs every day.. so check it out with a cab and see if you think it's better later!

-Willz

6. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    adding a cab might help, but with the money you'd spend on that it might be better to get a bigger combo. just a thought, because there isnt a whole lot to a combo besides adding processors and such to change the sound.

7. lay it on its back and put a big heavy pillow over the speaker.
    and don't use one of those crappy foam pillows, use one filled with feathers

8. cheesepuff921

cheesepuff921

Sep 22, 2000
    what will the pillow thing do to it?

9. i am not quite sure but i have a fender 25 and it always sounds better when i do that, i can get volume and the pillow cuts down on the clanky high notes that annoy my ear

10. That amp is designed to be loud enough to let you hear your bass while you're practicing. It is not designed to let you play with anyone, it's never going to sound good no matter what you do to it.

So use it for practicing, get your chops down, and save your money. If you want an amp that will allow you to comfortably play with a drummer and one or two electric guitar players, you're looking at 200-300 watts minimum.

11. cheesepuff921

cheesepuff921

Sep 22, 2000
    wont that cost a lot cuz i am a poor boy

12. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    cheesepuff do what i'm doing to get a rig this summer job. I hope i can get what i want out of it. thats all

13. i've been working since jan. for my amp. so far i'm up to $1300. its really not that hard to make money if you really really set you mind to it. just try to set a goal every week and then try your hardest to meet it. i am trying my hardest to make $1800 before christmas

14. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Yes, sad for you, but true.

[/QUOTE][/B]
    So use it for practicing, get your chops down, and save your money. If you want an amp that will allow you to comfortably play with a drummer and one or two electric guitar players, you're looking at 200-300 watts minimum. [/B][/QUOTE]

200watts is sufficient IMHO, also for most live situations. More watts = more fun (I use 400watts and I'm perfectly happy).
    Less watts (100) will be ok for practicing with rock bands at reasonable (=rather low) volume (your ears will thank it!!) or for jazz bands. But if you buy a 100W combo, you might have to upgrade pretty soon.

My 2cents,
    Matthias