Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i have a squier bronco bass is that so wrong?!!???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 90_feet, Apr 15, 2001.

1. 90_feet

90_feet

Mar 18, 2001
    ok a lot of people here have been saying they have a squier p bass well if anyone has a bronco out there please talk to me on icq my number is 111972793

2. whats your question?
    i don't have one but i was just wondering if you are worried about the quality.

3. 90_feet

90_feet

Mar 18, 2001
    my question is that has anytone out there but one another pickup or left it like it is? i havnt and my is just fine

4. You're asking if anyone has added a 2nd pickup?

5. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I've often thought about getting a Bronco to have as a travel bass. I've never played one though. So any information you could offered would be appreciated! :)

6. If it sounds good to you leave it the way it is.
    You will read a lot of this is good, this is bad stuff on TB but it really comes down to the player. You have to like what you play, end of story.

7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Guffpuppy is right. Do what YOU like. Whatever it takes to make playing a joy for YOU. I've been reminded of this lately. I hope I never forget it again.

8. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    My kid's got a Squier Musicmaster, and it seems to be just as good as the original Fender Musicmaster. That was my first bass, by the way. As others have said, if you like it, 'nuff said.

9. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    Its not a modulus but it will do for now.

10. My first bass was a bronco. I love that thing, but I think that's just because it was my first bass, not anything to do with the quality. ugh, it sounds terrible.

11. I've got one. It's not one of the basses I normally gig with. But I do use it for practices, leave it set up on the stand at home all the time. Sometimes leave it over at friends houses, etc. I bought it as a knock about bass. I paid $150 for it new, with a gig bag, if I remember right.

No, it's not a top line bass. Is it a POS as some would have you believe. NO! It's better than a lot of supposed good basses that I've played over the years.

However, it did anoy me quite a bit. That damn pickup just flat didn't cut it. The sound drove me nuts. So, I had to play around. I had a set of AmStd pots and an extra switchcraft jack laying around in a box of miscellaneous stuff. I bought an EMG bass humbucker and replaced the original pup (slight mod to the pickguard to accept it), pots, switch, and wires. I added a set of Schaller strap locks and WALLA! Now it's a keeper. I still have less than $200 in it.

It still fills the purpose for which I bought it. But, now, if I was stuck and had to gig with it, I would.

If I had bought it for my Son, I would have left it alone and not changed a thing. It is more than enough for a beginner to learn on. And, even use in a garage band or similar use. Now if my Son wants to learn, I can also let him use as the short scale is not too much for him.