1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I have a strange valve/tube saturation effect question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassgiant15, Jan 19, 2012.

1. bassgiant15

bassgiant15 Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses

Dec 19, 2005
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I know this is probably a weird question...Is there a pedal or can someone recommend something that might do the same thing as the PSP MixSaturator2?

I guess i'm looking for something that will do the same thing as setting the MixSaturator on Valve 1-3 and then boosting Saturation.

I have a Sansamp BDDI, but i'm not sure this is the same effect.

If anyone can recommend anything that will do something similar i would greatly appreciate it!

Again i know this is a weird question to ask...

2. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    I've never used the PSP MixSaturator2, but I looked up a description online, and it sounds like it is just a tube emulator for adding "warmth", so the Sansamp BDDI may get you close as it is also made to help emulate tube sounds/tube amps. Probably want to do some low drive/non distorted settings and then play with the EQ.

3. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I've used the MixSaturator2 and the VintageWarmer2 live with great results, but it requires some finessing to get the latency down when running plug-ins live. If you are interested PM and I can offer advice.

As far as a pedal to emulate this emulation (!), +1 to CopperheadLXXIX on the BDDI, or any low gain OD pedal made for bass that you end up liking the sound of. There are quite a few out there.

4. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    This might be a bit more than you want to spend - I don't know your budget for this. But... the Presonus Eureka channel strip has a cool 'Saturate' circuit on the front end of the pre. It's essentially an asymetrical dual-FET thing, that alters the drain current from the input transformer.....or something, from what I've read. I have no idea what that means. It's sounds really good though. :)
    You should be able to pick one up for under 300 bucks.
    IIRC the MixSaturate plugin didn't really add "grit" like an OD pedal would, so maybe this is your solution as the Presonus saturate function doesn't add 'drive' either.

5. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
  6. bassgiant15

bassgiant15 Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses

Dec 19, 2005
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Anyone know how good these are? They seem really reasonable! I'm interested in the eureka preamp too!