i have a two questions about fender jazz basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by goblue29, Apr 19, 2004.

1. goblue29

Apr 19, 2004
    sorry, i'm new to all this bass talk and i've only been playing for a little over a year.

first question is, what does it mean to have your bass setup?

i'm thinking of getting a fender deluxe active jazz bass and i'm wanting to know how good they are or how bad?

thank you for your time everyone
  2. Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    a setup is simply having your bass adjusted to play better. They correct the string height, bow of the neck, and and intonation of the bridge.

If you already have a standard jazz bass, you'll probably love the deluxe. It's a great bass, although I'm not the biggest fan of the preamp that's in them.
  3. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Hello and welcome to talkbass:) There is a forum here called setup where you can read through and learn about setup (although Gse answered your question quite well) also you can do a search about Fender basses here. The bottom line about Fender though is that you can't go wrong with them, however it's matter of taste wether you will like them or not. Stick around here on talkbass and you might learn from us and we might learn from you as well:)
  4. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Set up is a must to learn. Restring your own ax for a real treat and go from there. Years ago Bass Player Magazine had a great spot on set-up.It might still be in there on line archive section. Finding a trusted set up guy in your town can also be of help. Case in Point, I bought a MM Stingray 5 and hatted the thing until I had it set up correctly. Truss rod adjust, new strings, etc. Good luck and welcome to the TB crew.... :bassist:
    Keep the Funk Alive....
  5. Hey don't be sorry. Talkbass is a great place to learn about all things bass.

I think that question has been answered, here's how to do it. From Gary Willis' web site.

GW's Setup Manual

I've only read through this briefly, but it seems to explain very well how to go about it.

6. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    I don't know if you have the dough, but the active jazz dlx would sound killer with a j-retro pre in it. There kind of expensive, though.
  7. But hey, you can save on the bass though. It would be just like a standard jazz with a j-retro :p
  8. Don't get a deluxe.

Get a standard passive. Passive are much better for beginners, and... well, more traditional.
  9. To have your bass setup means......

I pretty much agree with Mr. Galt's method but, I also refer to the Fender Setup Manual for a good place to start!

As for your second question............I would go with the Standard MIA Jazz Bass, they are a very versatile instrument.

Hope this helps and WELCOME to TB!

10. doomed

Sep 11, 2005
    Err....what happen to my guitar strings when i adjust it to standard tuning "EADG", those strings are just too lose..It produces bad sound when the string hits the fret while playing(or izzit they call it fretnoise?)...Anyone can help me on this?

"SOrry if I'm reviving dead Topic, i just need to know what i m suppose to do" :help: BTW i'm newbie :)