I have a weak G string...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Lichtaffen, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Jokes are welcome, by the way. I need my day brightened up.

Seriously though, I have a MusicMan Stingray 4 string with the stock strings on it still after 10 months of ownership (I like the deader sound, I don't slap). I play fingers only, no picking. The E A D strings feel and sound fine to me, but the G string is weak sounding and feeling. It doesn't match the tone of the other strings especially when I play in the first position. I've been working on the Jamerson style lately and most of the playing is in the first position. When I play the G string along with the others, it sounds almost like a guitar than a bass. I tried EQing, but it affects the tone overall. I'm thinking the gauge of the G string is too light. I believe it's strung up with the 45 65 80 100 combination, whatever they come with from the factory. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I just switch to flats to get closer to that sound? I play mostly R&B, Soul, Funk (fingerstyle), Reggae. If it helps at all, I play a Mark Bass 121P combo that sounds really great, nice and deep.

This will basically be an experiment for me in achieving that Motown type sound. If you think I should try flats, which brand do you recommend. I'm looking forward to trying something new. Thanks.

2. This is a common and known issue on the EBMM SR4 basses. IIRC, Sterling Ball even admitted so in an interview.

There are many threads here and on EBMM forum about different remedies.

On mine, I angled the pickup so it's as close to the G string without affecting tuning. It kinda works. YMMV.

I'm sure people will chime in with their solutions.

3. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    that's what she said.

4. fretlessman71

fretlessman71 Still beats havin' a job Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2005
    FoCo, NoCo
    Didn't Whitesnake have a song about a woman who had her G string tuned to A...? ;)

5. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    Just drop a few punds and your G-String will be able to support you better. Beach season is on it's way.

6. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    This is fascinating. Here I am thinking it's the string.

7. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    The g is definitely weaker on mine, but angling the pickup helps a lot. Doesn't solve it, but it helps. And for flats, I use TI jazz flats on mine, feels amazing and sounds great (I think!). For the Jamerson sound, a mute helps a lot too.

8. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Cool, thanks. I was thinking about trying the TI Jazz Flats. I'll give it a go.

9. Yeah, they do that I hear. Don't have one myself, but this is apparently common. But it sounds like you are going for a different sound anyway, one which a P bass would be better for, I think.

10. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    After owning 5 StingRays, a Sterling, and a Bongo, I can assure you its not the string.

11. swmmojo

swmmojo Be up and doing...

I have no problems with my Stingray5 G string at all.

12. old-fashioned

old-fashioned

Mar 25, 2005
    Ankara
    I have exactly the same problem with my MM Stingray 4. The G string, especially on the 3rd to 6th frets. I didn't know that it was so common...

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021