Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I have a yamaha 5 string, and i wanna know what i should upgrade on it

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xaero187, Oct 21, 2002.

1. xaero187

xaero187

Sep 2, 2002
    hi, i have a yamaha NB511 (or something, but it's discontinued) and i just want peoples opinions on what i could upgrade to :)

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    If you don't know what to change, don't change it.

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    If it ain't broke - don't fix it!!!!

4. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    not neceserily, you just have to be more specific on what it is you don't like on that bass.

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Which kinda is the same thing, no?

6. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    no man, not at all.

7. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    I agree with thee above statements.

I would Check out a new Bridge or Tuners (if they don't stay in key)

8. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    I think anyone who replys, will say the same thing. We can't evaluate or suggest anything untill we either see a picture, or if we own your Bass, or if you Describe your Bass.

9. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    If he is able to be more specific on what he doesn't like, he probably knows what to change. And therefore he doesn't have to ask...

But as QTraXQ says, we should let Xaero fill us in on this first.

10. xaero187

xaero187

Sep 2, 2002
    hey yeah sorry, here's a pic, i just want an opinion on what pickups are good for playing metal/hard rock, and for a 5 string, that's the bass i got, but in black, and the pick-ups look like big black rectangle (no bolts coming off the side like a jazz bass) i think they're single coil

11. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    If you wanted you could reroute and put an MM Pickup, but I think that would be too much work.I would go check out some EMG Pickups. EMG's are known for there High-end Pick up everything type of style.:)

Edit:
    EMG's may not Fit. check out specs before all purchases!!!!

12. xaero187

xaero187

Sep 2, 2002
    i know it's a **** description of my pick-ups, but that is what they look like! they're about 1 1/2 inch by 2 1/2 inch (approx) with a little yamaha logo, i would show u a picture, but seeing as it's discontinued i can't find the exact bass, but the pic i posted was the closest i could find, the closest pick-up look-a-like i could find was this, i dunno if it helps or not

13. xaero187

xaero187

Sep 2, 2002
    sorry here it is

14. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Have to ask; What do you not like about it? [​IMG]

15. xaero187

xaero187

Sep 2, 2002
    well i love the bass, i just wanna know what pick-ups i can get for it, for metal style music ETC coz i admit it, i don't know alot about basses, like people say "i set up my p-bass" or whatever, i just wanna know what i can "set up" on it

16. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I'd say it would be wiser and in the long run a better choice for you to purchase a new bass, as someone pointed out EMG's would be a good choice for metal and I agree (aguilar preamp also would be nice) but that's a few dollars and you might end up paying more for the pups and the setup than you paid for the bass. However if you really like this bass and don't want another bass, go for it dude:)

17. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, Yamaha 5 string models have double coil pickups with, I think, Alnico V magnets. Unfortunately if your bass has these pickups their size is unusual(118mm x 35mm or in inches 4.64 x 1.37) and therefore hard to replace. If you want to change pickups first measure their dimensions and try to find replacements that are same size as your pickups. BTW, if your bass has pickups of these dimensions I think that Bartolini's P4 pickups should fit, well nearly fit.
    I own Yamaha TRB-5 and it is a nice bass, but pickups are annoying - they have wide range of sounds that you can dial in but none of those sounds is good. And because of that I am getting rid of this bass - I spend too much time trying to get half decent tone while I should be playing.

18. LKK

LKK

Sep 4, 2002
    I own an older model of the yamaha you shown. 5-string. I'm not sure about the higher end Yamaha models, but the B string on the low end model is useless. I use it as a thumb rest only.

Most pickups on the low end yamaha are weak. They are fine but lack in character.... like the other poster said, you get half good tone from it.

I routed a big cavity and put in a Baseline Musicman pickup (Alnicol) plus a tone circuit. The tone is now in another class.... great slap tone. BUT it is still not to my satisfaction and the B string is still useless.

Take my advice: save the money buy another bass when you have enough money. Keep the yamaha anyway, its a nice bass in its class.

19. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I say leave it they way it is.. if you don't find any problems with it, don't waste your time/money...

20. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    If you know you will purchase an effects Pedal for the Bass, then I would purchase an Effects Pedal First. If you do not like the sound after purchasing the Effects pedal then Think about Changing out Pickups or Changing Out your Bass.

If the Bass Fits the Atmosphere of your Music or is an Enjoyable sound to your Ears then Leave the Bass Alone..

Hmm suprising comment amount the Bad TRB-5.:(