I have Aerodyne GAS.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darkside 88, Oct 8, 2005.

1. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Personally I love the tones I can get from P J combos. I also love the look of the machine, especially the binding. What upgrades are good ideas? I'm think a BadAss II, and different knobs...
  2. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Make sure you play one before you buy. I fell in love with the look also but I found the tone to be too "bright" for my tastes so I traded it.

It is a beautiful axe tho -- to my eyes, it looks like a "porsche with strings!" :cool:
  3. trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Coincidentally, does anyone have a picture of the japanese version (the ones with a pickguard) in gunmetal blue?
  4. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
  5. dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    I love the looks (and sound) of those things...I wish Fender would make more basses without pickguards...they look so much more clean and pretty that way.
  6. I had the Japanese version Aerodyne. I did the trick for a while as a back up bass to my Geddy Lee and served well in a few gigs but I recently traded it for a Jazz Bass 24. I would have kept it but the wife made me pick one or the other. Since I wanted active electronics I went with the 24.
  7. Oh man, i really really really still want one of these soooo bad :(

( just for the record they are all Japanesse, its just the one with the pickguard was intended for sale in japan, the one without the pickguard etc is the export model :) )
  8. rluk

Nov 4, 2004
    Tallinn, Estonia
    +1 on the Porche comparision :)
    it must be the most beautiful bass i ve ever seen :)

As for upgrades, pickups definately, most of them seem to hiss
    (j bridge hisses).

They come with two different bridges, mine (without pickguard)
    has a rather decent one, others have standard.

And trying is always a good idea, but I bought mine directly from www.ishibashi-music.com (japan) and it came with strings so crappy,
    I would of left it in the shop when I would of had a chance to try it.
  9. I, too, am GASing for an Aerodyne pretty badly... the aesthetic is great, and I like the tonal variety of P/J pickups. I have played the Aero several times and can agree with the J-pickup hiss thing, but it's honestly not that bad, I suppose if you were really irritated by it you could swap pickups... With regards to the pickguard.... both with and without, it still looks great IMO. Now, if only I had the cash.... :(
  10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I like the way it sounds and definitely love the way it looks.
  11. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Are the P and J pickups pretty close to say, and actual P or J with the bridge solo'd? Cause I played a Squier PJ that had a damn good Jaco tone from the J and a seriously dark and heavy tone from the P.
  12. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I think the dolphin grey aero is the best looking fender bass of today.