1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I Have An Acoustic Bass Guitar In My Office That Generates Lots Of Conversations

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Richland123, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I Have An Acoustic Bass Guitar In My Office That Generates Lots Of Conversations.

I own an insurance agency in a small town and I keep the bass against the wall behind my desk and I play it whenever I have a few minutes or want to work on tunes.

Many people have been in my office and commented when they see the bass. Sometimes, they are just people asking about me playing or if I am in a band. Occasionally, the conversations have gotten them to come and see my band and even gotten gigs booked for my band with people who run clubs. Other times, I will find out either the person or somebody they know is also a musician.

It happened again today. A guy just walked into my office unannounced and introduced himself as a new marketing representative for a regional restoration business. When he saw the bass, he told me that he is a drummer. We ended up having a nice, long conversation about our bands, music we like, and I showed him some videos of bands that he never heard about before and he now liked them.

I have developed business relationships for my insurance agency because of music and vice versa and having that bass out in the open at my office has proven to be a great thing.

nixdad, kobass, Heavy Blue and 4 others like this.
  2. Yes, indeed!

A non-verbal way of letting people know of a hobby of yours, is to either display something about the hobby you're into or show them photos of it.

For example, I'm into bicycle riding, and at the shop where I get my bikes serviced, the owner has ammo on display.

I asked him, "Hey, are you into shooting?" His response, "Yeah, are you?"

I am not, but my father used to hunt, and that started a long conversation.

Look at what I do: Take photos of some of my guitars and basses with models, and post them here, and at other sites.

Some people have asked me if I run a modelling agency.

Mike ;)

3. tgriley62

tgriley62

Jan 25, 2011
    S.E. Mo
    Hey, good idea. I have photos of my six grandkids on my desk & it just so happens I have six basses. Maybe time for a swap:D