1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I have an actual Fleabass in my hands and...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GassieBall, Aug 31, 2009.

1. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Here is a quick review of the SHORT SCALE FLEA BASS JUNIOR. :) And please read through to look at the end result!

I'm on a short scale kick and used the MF 20% off deal, so it was a little pricey for a "budget" bass, but I couldn't resist the temptation.

So I got the orange and yellow one. All the colors except black/white were pretty tied in my other poll for colors.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, my overall impression is that this is a typical Chinese made bass with fair, if not poor, quality control. :( Doesn't mean it's not a diamond in the rough, though.

[​IMG]

2. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    The fit and finish is shoddy. As you can see here they did not completely paint the inside of the truss rod hole and there is tons of manufacturing schmutz in it.

[​IMG]

3. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Paint still covers the string through holes and the neck screws.

[​IMG]

4. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    The pickguard and the control cavity plate are actually plexiglass with the color painted on one side. The bass came with a crack caused by overtightening the screw down on the plexi and also by the screw being placed at an angle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    There also seem to be false start saw marks on the neck.

[​IMG]

6. meh... I Don't like it...

7. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    And the nut is sort of ratty.

[​IMG]

8. robkphoto

robkphoto

Jan 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ouch!!! Flea will not be proud of that!!!

9. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    On the other hand, the bridge is very nice, it's high mass, and string through.

[​IMG]

10. How does it sound and play?
    PS has anyone ever seen a kiddies TV show called teletubbies? This bass reminds me of that show!

11. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    oh man...im not seeing a positive review here...LOL :crying:

12. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Ugly pickguard, as I said above is plexi with painted on yellow. There are rough edges in the circle if you look carefully.

[​IMG]

13. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Golly! This is worse than SX :bag:

14. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Dang Chineese kid Luthiers..

Sorry to hear about this...

15. thudstaff23

thudstaff23

Mar 10, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    I hope it plays better than it looks. Those flaws are unacceptable, even on a budget bass. I'm very surprised that Flea wold back something of such poor quality.

16. Have you played it amplified??

17. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Gosh, you guys are beating me too the punch and replying before I get to the playing part.

SO HOW DOES IT PLAY? Well, let me quote Flea's website:

EACH BASS WILL BE MADE WITH CARE AND THOROUGHLY CHECKED FOR QUALITY. WE TAKE PRIDE IN EACH INSTRUMENT - I would highly disagree with this. There are several flaws and inattention to detail that I don't think should go through QA as seen above.

IT IS OUR STEADFAST INTENTION TO MAKE AN INEXPENSIVE BASS GUITAR - If you compare it to SX's or the Ibanez GSR series, it ain't cheap at all.

THAT IS NOT A TOY THAT BREAKS AND HAS LOUSY INTONATION, AND HAS AWAKWARD ACTION, LIKE SO MANY CHEAP BASSES I HAVE ENCOUNTERED WITH YOUNG MUSIC STUDENTS BUT IS A SERIOUS INSTRUMENT THAT PLAYS BEAUTIFULLY AND THAT WILL ONLY GET BETTER WITH TIME AND LOOKS COOL AS HELL - Well, Flea is right here, in part. It's playability out of the box is very good. If I were a parent who knew nothing about basses and needed to buy a good playing bass and didn't want to either set it up or pay to have it set up, this would be a good choice. The only reason my particular bass will get better with time is because I will mod it and know how to shine $h!t.

18. Getaway Driver

Getaway Driver

May 31, 2009
    Omaha, NE
    I saw one at a shop here in town. Picked it up, slapped a few lines, flipped it over to check out the heel joint and *boom* "Made in China" sticker. Promptly put it back on the rack and moved on to a MM Sterling.

19. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Pickups and electronics:

As for the pickup, it's pretty darn lousy. Low output, muffled tone. Even with the height set correctly. The stock strings are worse than the SX stock strings with no zip in them. The E string was a dud and sounded dead.

The tone pot is scratchy and physically bottoms out against the paint.

20. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    man! I'm seriously disappointed...I mean, I know they're ugly, but I wanted someone to come out and say, "These things are amazing for the price!"

Not to mention it looks like a toy