1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I have an addiction....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by page, Dec 11, 2006.

1. I'm coming to grips with it....I'm addicted to caffeine. Seriously though, I'm no nutrionist, but from what I hear , overuse can make you irritable, grumpy,etc.... Well , I have had terrible mood swings and temper tantrums to many times these days. So I'm gonna try to kick caffeine , if I can..... I love the taste of soda though.....GRRRR!!!

Any help?

2. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    How many cups do you drink per day? I love coffee and I drink enough in the morning until I'm kinda crazed, then I stop. I never drink it any other time but morning. Probably about 5 cups.

3. I'm not totally sure about this, but unless you're drinking some pretty hyper-caffeinated soda, it's unlikely that you're physically addicted to the stuff. Although, I guess maybe if you drink a whole lot of soda, you could be.

In any case, just try to find another preferred drink. Drinking lots of cold water will help curb your thirst for soda, and you'll probably feel better for it. Or you could just switch to Root Beer or Sprite...

4. Oh yeah, I drink a lot of coffee too

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Really Ice Cold Water is a great substitute.

6. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Oh, I see. You get your caffiene from soda. Sorry. That would lend itself more to drinking it all day long so it might be hard to quit.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Nope. :D

Actually, this works for me with other foods, so maybe you can try it...

Drink some coffee, and then some more until you are full. Go ahead and drink a few more cups, and just when you think you can't have anymore, keep drinking. Drink coffee until you throw up. Once you throw up all of that coffee, I doubt you'll ever crave it again.

BTW page.....don't blame those temper tantrums on caffeine. Blame your boys in Denver for that! :D

-Mike

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Switch to orange juice.

9. labgnat

labgnat Banned

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    just cut down slowly if you're drinking a 2 liter now cut back to 1 liter. just wean yourself off it so the withdrawl won't be so bad. most people dont' understand how strong of a drug it really is. ur body and mind will defintely thank you for cutting it out.

10. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    Haha, I too, drink way too much caffeine.

I get up in the morning, and have 2-3 cups of coffee.

I go to school. Another coffee.

At lunch, a 1 litre bottle of pop.

Afternoon, another 1 litre of pop.

Later on: Whatever coffee was leftover from that morning (I just reheat it :p ) and sometimes a can of root beer.

oh, and I'm only 17, and I'm stuck in this habit. I'm not kickin' it anytime soon, I can really use the energy, since I only sleep 2-4 hours per night.

EDIT: Though at least I'm not kickin' back 4 redbulls a day, that would be bad :p

And the caffeine has lost it's effect on me. I can drown down a 12 pack of pepsi, and not feel and more energized :( and yes, I have drowned down 24 cans in a day without a problem.....Is that bad? :(

11. coffee is probably my only vice. meh, i aint giving it up

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I was physically and emotionally addicted to caffiene a few years ago. Kicked the habit... because of surgery believe it or not. I was told: avoid chocolate, caffiene, and carbonated beverages. Three favorite things, otherwise I could ruin the stitches in my stomach.

Then as soon as it happened, it coincided perfectly with Lent. I gave up soda, chocolate and swearing. Two of the three worked. :)

13. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    As an IT professional, I've been seriously addicted to caffeine a few times. It's (literally)a pain the few times you can't get a cup before noon, and I work hard to not get that physical addiction back.

If you're drinking a lot of soda, you're probably more addicted to sugar than you are caffeine. Switch to water and you'll probably be fine.

14. +1

I used to drink around 3 liters of Sprite a week, definitely not good. I eventually made the switch to mainly no pulp orange juice and occasionally iced tea snapple.

I find it still tastes great and I don't really crave soda at all anymore. Honestly I feel better drinking orange juice, give it a try. You may have to find a specific brand you like if you do not drink it often, I know Tropicana is what does it for me. (I really would kill for some Bright & Early orange juice though, I think they stopped making it.. but it used to be best).

15. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    Aversion therapy eh? That has varied results, but Page can try it.

I did what you described once. It concerend Ferraro Rochere chocolates though. I didn't intentionally eat until I was sick, but I had a twenyfour pack and a movie. Needless to say, the whole pack disappeared. An hour later, I was saying a desperate prayer at the porcelain altar and offering sacrifice until I thought my stomach would come up too. Haven't been able to eat one of those chocolates since and it's been 5 years.

16. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    Maybe try weaning yourself off of caffeine Page.
    Have the full amount one day and then slowly take away the intake. Replace what you ingest with juice, decaf coffee, decaf tea, sugarless gum.

Just suggestions.

17. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I've gone through stages where I couldn't go a day without caffeine to months where I cut it out completely. I'm at the point now where I can have multiple cups of coffee throughout the day + several other caffeineated drinks but go the next day without any caffeine intake.

18. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    I like caffeine but can go without. I hate being out of coffee tohugh, not cause of the caffeine, but I love the taste and smell.

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    YES!!! All of that junk is going to kill you.

-Mike

20. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    Don't go cold turkey... its doable, but its not fun... I always end up with migranes and angry when I try that.

To those drinking tonnes of soda, the sugar is probably worse for you than the caffeine... seriously, type 2 diabetes anyone?

And the redbull comment... it really isn't any worse for you than coffee or soda. Too much sugar, but often less caffiene than a decent sized coffee.