1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I have an audition and need advice

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by p-bass, Sep 14, 2008.

1. p-bass

p-bass Guest

Feb 17, 2008
    My Blues band broke up and I am trying out for a new one. My old band was all friends and I have never auditioned before. This is a blues band also and the members are about ten years older then me. They are auditioning five Bass players in one night. Three songs they sent are House Is A Rockin,Some Kind Of Wonderfull & One Way Out. I know all these songs but how should I come accross and what gear sould I use. I have a roundwound strung P-Bass, a flatwound strung P-Bass and a roundwound strung Jazz Bass. I will bringa 100 watt combo as they do not have a Bass amp. and told me that would be enough power. What Bass and attitude should I bring ? Thank You

2. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic

Apr 9, 2006
    If they don't specify gear, bring what you need to feel comfortable and play your best.

Make sure you REALLY know the songs inside and out, and can play them as recorded along with a few personal embellishments that you've come up with yourself. If someone mentions hopping in to a song at the 2nd chorus, you should know exactly where that is and exactly what it is you're supposed to be playing.

As far as attitude, be polite, respectful, on time (early), and don't doddle setting up your gear.

3. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    My advice is not to stess out over it. You know the songs, bring your favorite bass and have fun. And remember, you are auditioning them as much as they are auditioning you.
    :bassist:

4. p-bass

p-bass Guest

Feb 17, 2008
    Thank You Guys ! Oldrocker,That is so true ! I will be auditioning them and who knows ? Should be fun,not like these guys have any great gigs pending. Thank You

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Do people really do this with blues? When I play along to a blues song I try to keep some of the feel of the original (and steal some of the cool licks ;) ), but I never play them as recorded. Basically, if they want them as recorded, I am not the man for the job and I would want them to know that up front.

Just my 2 cents.

6. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    Just be yourself, if you are right for the gig you will get it.

7. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic

Apr 9, 2006
    More of a general comment.

If it's a walking bass line, obviously a note for note transcription is a little extreme. If the tune has a distinctive/defining bass line over blues changes, I would learn it as recorded in the event that that's what the band director was looking for.

Depending on the goals of the band, and the audiences you'll be playing for, it's not a strange request.

8. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    I agree, bring the bass that you are currently most comfortable with. Any of those you mentioned are totally fair game for a blues band. If anyone has an opinion (doubtful) you can let them know what else you've got.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Calm, confident, self-assured. Not cocky or arrogant. Let your fingers do the talking.

10. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Yeah, and don't ever, ever, ever fret about mistakes or point them out if they go unnoticed. Musicians who are auditionning you are quite like wild animals, at least in my experience: they don't like to feel the fear, it sresses them out. Go there, have fun, and if you're out-classed or they're a bunch of bedroom heroes, put it behind you, make the most out of it and move on.

Knowing the songs inside and out is the most important thing. Also, different bands perform different songs differently. It might be normal for some things to feel "weird" or for some fills to be "off-key" during solos or choruses if the band you're auditionning for has a different feel or structure to the songs you're playing.

11. dj150888

dj150888

Feb 25, 2008
    Belfast, Ireland
    Some of these tips might be obvious, but

1) Don't have a drink (or any other chemical) to steady your nerves, nothing worse for people who are auditioning someone to have that person turn up smelling of drink. One pint/short will leave a smell!

2) Find another way of steadying your nerves! A nervous set will never be your best. Try the obvious things first, deep breaths, maybe meditation if you're into that.

3) Play tastefully at the audition. In most bands, they don't want a bass player who can sweep arpeggios, double thump and tap. Lay down the groove, if that sort of technique is called for, you'll know by the original recording.

4) Get a good night sleep the night before the audition (sorta general life advice that :p) You perform your best after a good nights sleep.

5) Don't be afraid to turn down the gig even if they accept you. If you see any potential issues, maybe give it a chance, they start to surface, get out. See any glaring problems? Don't take the gig at all

6) Let the attitude of the guys you're auditioning for dictate your attitude. If they're very casual at the audition, theres nothing wrong with you being casual. If they're casual, they don't want someone really uptight in their band most likely. The opposite applies, if they're all very formal at the audition, stay quite formal yourself.

7) Don't leave the audition without knowing everything YOU need to know to decide if they're what you're looking for in a band.