1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I have an early 80's Japanese Electra Phoenix (x650 ???)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by EZTundra77, Nov 29, 2017.

1. EZTundra77

EZTundra77

Aug 24, 2012
    Got it free. They left the battery in it which corroded all the wiring. Any advice on riggin it back up? Should I dump the active pickups and just swap in some decent inexpensive passive pickups? Is that even possible? I dont want to spend more than a couple hundred bucks. Maybe replacing the 9V battery connection and reconnecting wires could work? the neck is straight. the bridge looks solid as does the head. I'm mainly putting this together for my kids to play. I dont need any of the effects and switches that came on it.

2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Don't rip anything out yet.

Post some pics of the harness

3. EpicSoundtracks

EpicSoundtracks

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Lollar Pickups, Dunlop Strings
    PJ setup? if you want a cheap player’s bass, take out the original wiring and pop in Artec or GFS pickups and inexpensive pots.

if you want to restore it, then go big with a complete Aguilar active setup or something similar.

4. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    It’s probably 640, 650 was passive, I think. Or did they swap electronics in the past? I had a 640 active PP and thought the pickups were fine, so if they’re original, I’d keep them. The active electronics were fun to mess around with, but didn’t impress me (though I just prefer passive in general). In short, if you don’t bother saving the electronics, just wire the pickups passive and call it a day. It’s a nice bass, fun to play... especially when it’s free :)

5. EZTundra77

EZTundra77

Aug 24, 2012
    It is a 640. I have it at a local used music instrument shop and the guys there thought it was cool. The tiny switches on the pickups is something none of us had seen before. I dont know if the pickups are stock. They took it to try and fix up for me. I'll let you guys know what they say.

6. EZTundra77

EZTundra77

Aug 24, 2012
    sikamik
    Did your pickups have tine white switches that could be toggled between 3 positions?

7. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    On the pickup? No... I remember the pickups reminded me of DiMarzios, they were probably similar or clones... but I recently saw Seymour Duncan pickups sold here that had tiny switches on it - maybe that's what you have?

8. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Electras of that era were Matsomoku-made instruments, and many of them had DiMarzio pickups as factory original equipment.

Most likely they are passive pickups with an active preamp. True active pickups are rather rare, EMGs are the most common ones but they make passive pickups too.

sikamikanico likes this.
  9. EZTundra77

EZTundra77

Aug 24, 2012
    I'm pretty sure they are DiMarzio. That's good news if they are passive pickups so if the pre-amp is bad, they can just bypass it and wire it passively. I have a feeling if they can't repair it for under $200- (my budget right now), they will offer me something to buy it/trade it. I wonder what it's worth. It's in good shape, far from mint but solid. A couple small nicks in body, straight neck, good head/pegs. Knobs turn smoothly. They are a good shop, but they gotta make a buck. I dont mind them making money but I dont want to drop my pants too far on it. What would you guys estimate it's value as? Retail and Trade-in value. Cheers.