I have an idea but I need to attach pup to pickguard...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MovinTarget, May 11, 2018.

1. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    I know there are tons of guitar pups that come with mounting rings or otherwise allow them to be mounted to the pickguard, but not for bass... do they exist?

I know many of you will wonder "why" but i have reasons i cannot divulge yet...

(Queue maniacal laughter)

-tnx

2. ctmullins

ctmullins Dominated Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    TV Jones.

Peavey T40.

Fender WRHB.

Any guitar pickup you like.

MovinTarget likes this.
  3. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Well, the idea is to use a bass pickup, but I will look at the other offerings you mention, tnx!

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  4. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Guitar pickups work just fine for bass, provided the overall string spacing is narrow enough.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Help if we knew what pickup so suggestions could be made. There’s a few pickup profiles out there. It’s not a one size fits all.

6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I am pretty sure the Rick neck pickup is pickguard mounted.

7. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Thanks for the input...

As far as guitar Pups, I guess that might be a cheaper, more diverse route to go and this is for an experimental proof-of-concept monstrosity that most likely will get me banned from playing bass ever again anyway ;)

Having said that, I suppose I could go with a bladed 'bucker and not really have to worry about the spacing eh?

If I go that route, I'll have to dig into the inherent differences between guitar and bass pups in general to see if I have to change any other aspects of the design...

8. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Just did a quick comparison of my guitar and my bass (I know different builds may vary...) and it seems that they are almost identical in distance from low to high string (just a hair over 2 inches) so it would seem that a bridge guitar rail pickup *should* cover just about any position on a 4 sting bass with "standard" string spacing...

9. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    :thumbsup:

There are no inherent differences between guitar and bass pickups other than form factor. They both work on the electro-magnetic principle, and are fairly rudimentary devices. Regardless of what the marketing people will tell you, they’re the same, and will work fine, provided (as I mentioned) the overall string spacing is covered, which you already checked.

Having said that, there are many choices for aftermarket bass pickups and aftermarket guitar pickups, with a wide variety of baked-in tones. When selecting guitar pickups for bass duty it’s best to avoid the “overwound” or “hot” varieties, as they sacrifice response in the highest and lowest frequencies in order to gain output in the mid-frequencies.

I’ve personally had great results using the Wilde L90 for bass. They’re very affordable too!

MovinTarget likes this.
  10. Yeah you could use a blade type humbucker. Get a 4-wire one though. Guitar pickups can be very mid-rangey, and you'll have the option of wiring it in parallel.

I presume you are making your own pickguard... The other option is to mod a bass pickup so it can be mounted through a pickguard. A soapbar would be easy. Simply glue it to a piece of flatwork. A strip of aluminium would be ideal. You can drill and tap it for mounting screws. The existing hole in the corners of the soapbar could be filled with resin. Or even just glue short screws in there so the empty holes don't look out of place.

As for a Jazz or stingray pickup cover, you could easily pare back the ears with a sharp chisel and then also glue it to a flat bar for mounting.

MovinTarget likes this.
  11. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    again thanls for all your input, and yes, I'll be cutting my own pickguard...