Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I have an idea - will it work?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Johnny5, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Johnny5

Johnny5

Mar 5, 2006
    Calgary, Canada
    Hi guys

I may have a hard time communicating this idea but here goes anyway..
    I bought a Gallien-Kruger 410 cab (not sure what model) a few years back, and this year I had the opportunity to buy an Ampeg BA210 combo just for jamming.
    To the best of my knowledge, the BA210 can't be used as a head to power other cabinets, but I was going through the owners manual today and it says the Bal. Line Out jack can be connected to an external amp. I'm sure you know what I'm thinking..

Is it possible to power my GK cab using the BA210?

2. It's not possible to power your 4x10 with your GK.
    What you would need to do is have a 2nd amp, or poweramp.
    And what you would do is run the line out from the GK into your 2nd amp. That signal would then be amplified to your 4x10.

Hope that's clear. The line out on your GK won't give you an amplified sound; just a line signal. It's basically the same signal that goes from your bass to your GK, except with the line out it's had the tone shaping applied by the GK preamp.

8)

3. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    yup,1) you could take a lead from the balanced line out into another amp input and connect that amp to your 410.

2) Looking at the block diagram in the owners manual, you could also take a lead from the -15dB input and plug that into another amp, and that amp would connect to your 410.

3) Orrrrrrr... you could take a lead from the headphone socket into another amp, and connect that to your cab..

all will work without fear of damage. It would depend on if you want the EQ of your combo to affect the 'other' amp.

The 1st and 3rd options would, the second option would not.

http://www.ampeg.com/manuals/BA115HP_210.pdf

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    OK...someone is right, and someone is wring here. Two different opinions. Someone needs to settle this..............Jerrold??????

-Mike

5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    The key is "with an external amp." Without that, I don't thing your idea will work. I don't know much about Ampeg combos, so I'm just guessing.

6. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    balanced out of Ampeg -> power amp -> 4x10

Good news? Power amps are getting very cheap lately.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I saw a 200 watt Crown for $175 in my local music store the other day. Brand new too!

-Mike

8. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
  9. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
  10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    True, but that is an entry level Crown amp. Not many features beyond the on and off switch.

-Mike