Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i have an idea

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 6sixx6, Oct 18, 2004.

1. 6sixx6

6sixx6

Oct 2, 2004
    wisconsin
    ok first off let me give you my situation. im poor and i have A SQUIER PBASS and really mant a thunderbird because i like the shape. what do u think of the idea of building a body in the shape of a thunderbird and putting all my squier stuff(neck, pickups, and what not) on the body i make .it would probably still sound like a p bass but would have the looks of a thunderbird minus the headstock. so give mw tour opinion on the idaea thanks

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Just save your money and buy the bolt on version. it's less than 400 bucks. Or if you want the true neck thru, you can get the elitist. it is less than 900

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea i think you would be happier saving and buying the Epiphone bolt on.

4. well, i think buying a new one would be a little easier...otherwise another alternative would be something like warmoth (i think). maybe someone who's worked with warmoth before can offer more insight, but couldn't you buy a t-bird body, and just pop the neck and such onto the body...you might have to get new pickups, but you could still use the other stuff right?

Charlie

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If you can do the woodworking yourself...go for it. Make sure the neck pocket fits tight and that you put the pickup and bridge in the exact correct spots.

John Entwistle used to play FenderBirds...a P Bass neck on a T-Bird like body.

I wouldn't recommend that you spend too much money on it, but it would be a fun project none the less...

6. Hella_Groovy

Hella_Groovy

Aug 31, 2004
    Richmond Va
  7. 6sixx6

6sixx6

Oct 2, 2004
    wisconsin
    i am pretty sure im going to do it mainly because i found a cheap bass i can take the parts from( a bently or something) and i need points in my woods class at school so this will give me a considerste amount of points and a cool new bass i wish i had enough money to buy a real thunderbird but i have to save for a car and cant afford a 360 doller bass. also what kind of wood should i use for the body i want a warm sound

8. From personal experience, I can tell you that, unless you have a LOT of wood working experience and have some templates for pickups, neck, electronics, etc. . you are going to have a BUTT load of trouble. It CAN be done, but it is very difficult and time consuming. See my fretless page:

Fretless Bass Project

If you do it, good luck!

9. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    Yeah, it sounds like plywood time. Nothing wrong with that, set you back $25, just fill in the holes and sand like crazy.

10. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    What do you have available in shop class? Do you have to buy wood or do they give you what you need (within reason)?

Gibson T-Birds have mahogany bodies, I'm not sure about the Epi (as I've never seen one in person).

Are you planning to paint the body, or just use a clear finish (perhaps with some stain)?

11. Finally someone else who hasn't got too much money and doesn't know what to spend it on. :)

12. 6sixx6

6sixx6

Oct 2, 2004
    wisconsin
    i can get pretty much any wood and am debating between poplar mahagony or walnut. i have good experiance with wood and plan on painting flat black like nikki sixx or staining it really dark with claer coats on top

13. Gosh Dave, it's not THAT hard! :bag: :D

Anyone with some decent experience can cut a neck pocket and most pup pockets with a router and a straight edge guide. Templates aren't the only way to go. In fact, I cut both of the pup cavities in my chambered Jazz (with wood pup covers) freehand and I would challenge anyone to call out the differences between them and a template route. It's all in the amount of time you want to put into it.

If you are going to cover it up with paint - use poplar - great tone from a not-so-pretty wood
    If you are going to stain/clear coat - use mahogany - historically accurate.

14. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    +1

I wouldn't use Walnut as it would be too darn heavy! Please, please, please don't paint mahogany (although you'll need to fill it and stain it). Beautiful hardwood like that is getting more rare all the time and it would be a shame to cover it in paint.

Good luck with your project... I hope you realize that part of the assignment is to post pictures (through the whole process, if you can) here on TalkBass :D

15. 6sixx6

6sixx6

Oct 2, 2004
    wisconsin
    Good luck with your project... I hope you realize that part of the assignment is to post pictures (through the whole process, if you can) here on TalkBass :D[/QUOTE]

thanks and i will try i dont have a digital camera but the school does so il try to use it and post pics