Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I have an idea...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThunderPig, Jan 3, 2003.

1. ThunderPig

ThunderPig Guest

Dec 15, 2002
    Oakland California
    Let's ask the owners of this site if we could have a forum dedicated to the recovery of our stolen instruments. Where we could post serial numbers and or pictures/descriptions of our dearly departed. I wouldn't expect such a thing to end thievery, but if one member could get back just a single instrument, wouldn't that be worth it? What do you think? Our instruments are being sold somewhere and maybe some of us could could help. Between all our members, we are in contact with thousands of instruments for sale on any given day. Even if you don't find your long lost bass, maybe you will be able to help someone else find theirs. I'm sick of donating instruments to the black market(4 basses,6 guitars and a 48 channel mixer, etc.), aren't you? If you don't think much of my idea, try and think of a better one. This problem affects us all. I'm sure every single one of our members has been ripped off or knows someone who has. Let's make it our new year's resolution to try to help each other out with this problem. Thanks.

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
  3. I think it's a great idea....the bass playing community taking care of their own....I'm all for it..

4. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I second that!

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Good idea. Also, be sure to check out:
    StealItBack, a public interest site run by police departments.

6. ThunderPig

ThunderPig Guest

Dec 15, 2002
    Oakland California
    How could we get a message to all our members politely asking that anytime they are considering any piece of used gear, to please take just a few seconds to make sure it isn't on our list? I'm a bass player....I have no idea how to organize this sort of thing. Please, if any of you have any ideas, cut me in.

SIDE NOTE: In just TRYING to get this together, along with the support other members have for this idea, I feel like less of a helpless victim already. Thanks.

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    For one, go make this recomendation on that thread I started. Its in the suggestion box so it will no doubt be viewed by Paul who runs the site.

Another way is that anytime someone post that they are going to buy something we have a reminder sent to them via PM.

Peace
    Nick

8. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    It worked for Brian Barrett at thelowend.net. The bass that was stolen from him was all the way in China!! Help from a TB member got it back!! I think it's a GREAT idea.

9. ThunderPig

ThunderPig Guest

Dec 15, 2002
    Oakland California
    That's incredible! Tell us more. Was it a hassle for the guy to get it back? Did the thief get busted? How in the name of Zeus' butthole did it wind up in China? You gotta spill. That kind of story can inspirational to members who have been ripped off.