1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I have an industry showcase..any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by chris818, Apr 16, 2006.

1. A side project I've been involved in for about a month is moving at light speed, which is good.

We'll be playing a showcase for some intersted parties. Any suggestions? This will be my first time playing in this kind of situation.

Have you done this before? What did you do besides practice your butt off. Anything I should know?

Thanks

2. hartke20g

hartke20g

Apr 12, 2006
    miami, FL
    don't mess up.:p
    i guess if i was in your place i'd just try to make it the best show you've ever played. but keep it simple. it's not all about being fancy, no matter who's watching. also, try to get a really good EQ since that does help with their decision in a way. who knows, maybe Led Zepplin would never have gotten signed if their tones weren't mixed right.

3. Remember that most bands do NOT get signed off their first showcase. So practice hard then go in and play your stuff the best you can, but be sure to enjoy yourselves! Not all bands get experiences like this so savor it!

Best of luck!

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Depending on who the interested parties are and whether you're inclined to take things to the next level, I'd not only practice the music but also work a lot on stagecraft in the time remaining.

I'm not suggesting matching uniforms, synchronized stage diving or anything that elaborate, but I'd strongly recommend that you at least videotape yourselves playing, then watch the playback along with non-band people to see whether an objective observer would consider you guys to be an interesting live act. It doesn't suffice to play the music perfectly if you don't look engaged. At a minimum, you should try to make regular eye contact with the audience and each other.

All of the regular pro advice applies as well:

Show up ahead of time and suck up to the sound guy to make sure he doesn't trash your mix.

Keep backup strings, batteries, cables, flashlights, fuses, powerstrips, direct boxes and duct tape handy for inevitable disasters.

Introduce yourselves professionally (that means not drunk and not mumbling), and mingle with the interested parties before and after your set.

Streamline your equipment for quick tear down, so that you can commence said mingling as soon as your set is over and before the next band goes on.

Make sure you have some swag + contact info to hand the interested parties, whether it's a free CD, a full EPK or just a card with your band's URL.

And last, it doesn't hurt to ask for their info either, so you can follow up or invite them to another gig.

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    P.S. Judging by your avatar photo, it looks like you've already got a pretty charismatic frontman.

6. Music Attorney

Music Attorney

Feb 22, 2004
    +1

What's "interesting" can certainly be subjective, but most bands I know say they learn a lot from watching videos of their shows. "I didn't realize I closed my eyes so much," I didn't realize I...". It's sometimes hard to get (and hear) "objective" feedback. However, if you see yourself doing something you don't like, it's a great motivator for change (i.e., as opposed to hearing it from someone else which I agree is also important).

Best of luck!
    MA

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Most important: If they don't move or dance, don't sweat it. It is not considered "industry cool" to do that. Don't let it rattle you. It could be a reunited Pink Floyd, and they'd just stand there. It doesn't mean that they hate you, it's just their way. I've done about 6 industry gigs, trust on this. ;)

8. aarono

aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Minnesota
    Best of luck to you, I hope the best for you. Keep us updated good man.

9. Thank you guys for all the suggestions and support. Much appreciated! Since I first wrote, we've literally locked ourselves in the rehearsal space and have been hammering away. We should be fine. :bassist:

-Chris

10. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    how long til the showcase man?

11. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    Assuming these guys have found you, and you've been invited to perform (rather than some shady promoter setting up a pay-to-play, inviting a few friends and telling them to wear suits, and carry briefcases!), then just keep doing what you normally do.

You've got the show for what you can do, and thats what they want to see. Obviously you want to put on the best show you can, but don't mess with whats working.

Ian

12. One week from today.
    And yes, it's a legit Record Label we'll be performing for.

13. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Be sure to wear short skirts. Also, if you can, they like to see "wardrobe malfunctions". Try not to wear the Goldilocks wig either. It's so passe. Switch instruments with one another at least every song- or during a song!- it shows them you have talent. And don't forget to bring a bottle of Dom Deluise. Give it to the agents before the show, and tell them "You'll need this to really appreciate the message we're trying to get across." Hand out earplugs and whoopee cushions right before you go on. :hyper: :bag:

Seriously, just go out there and have fun. If you look like you're having the time of your life, it's infectious- everyone else will have a good time too. You've practiced hard for this, so relax and just play!

14. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    cool man keep us updated on how it went.

15. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Pay people to come down if you have to. :) I think the crowd's support is incredibly, incredibly important. Even if the club is packed, playing to people who don't know you can be a freaky experience.

I wouldn't sweat it too much, and I wouldn't be too eager to impress them. If you've got it, you've got it and they'll see it. If you're trying too hard and look desperate, needy and nervous I believe they'll see that too.

If you mess up I also wouldn't sweat it. We showcased, trainwrecked on a song we never played live before - stopped, said screw that song and moved on. The label loved that it didn't bug us at all and that we took it in stride, 6 months later they signed us.

As someone else said chances are they're not going to immediately say they want to work with you (although they might, too). Most industry people these days want to see how much a band is willing to work for themselves - how serious, dedicated and mature they are. If they like a band they give it some time to see what they can do on their own. That was my experience with the nerve!, and my understanding from some other label people I've come to know over the years.

Regardless of who these people are, it ain't all that important. Most industry people these days aren't going to do much more for you than you can do for yourself IMO. And, again, - if you've got something that's worthwile and these particular people don't want it, it's better that you just move on anyhow. Others will come along. Good luck. :D

16. Didn't anyone mention capes? That's the secret; capes.

Remember it's a vibe thing too.

What they see + What they hear + What they feel = the vibe.

So play as well as you can - mistake-free.
    Present yourself as well as you can - confident, well-rehearsed, good energy and show them your eyes.
    Feel good about what you are doing and let that feeling flow.

Make sure you don't ignore any parts of the equasion.

OOPS - I have never played for industry people before nor gotten any sort of major label interest in my life! You may want to disregard the above commentary... ;)

Good luck!

17. Hey guys, well the showcase was last night. BTW, It was for Epic. It went well! We played well...our manager was happy but said we were at 90% of our potential...but everybody else was riveted....friends and strangers alike. We received alot of honest applause. That rarely happens at a rock n roll show (you usually get the golf clap).
    Anyway, hopefully we'll hear a good word sooner rather than later for the A&R person.

Thanks all again for your suggestions and support.

Peace,
    Chris

18. Glad it went well - hope you hear good news soon!

19. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Congrats. I'll be crossing my paws for you guys! :hyper:

20. Thanks again guys for the support.

We heard back and the news looks good so far.
    Management is going to put some things together.
    Hopefully it's enough to persuade them to pull the trigger and take us on.

I'll keep you all updated.

Peace,
    Chris