I have an old bass. It's was my very first bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BubbaLee77, Dec 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdaddybass12

bigdaddybass12

Feb 26, 2021
    Mmm, I did not like the color of my 1st bass, cream colored Fender p bass. Color too light , My 1st girlfriend did not get out in the sun, so she was light skinned. now I own black on black p bass. Looking at a black on black jazz.. My current women is a brunette & keeps a nice tan.....

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  2. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    Gosh...

Jeremy Crockett likes this.
  3. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    You mean, on innerweb?

Justinian likes this.
  4. Jeremy Crockett

Jeremy Crockett Amiable Crank Supporting Member

Keep up, oldtimer, this thread be moving fast!

murphy likes this.
  5. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    Will be watchin

Jeremy Crockett likes this.
  6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Anxiously awaiting the denouement…

instrumentalist and Justinian like this.
  7. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Well, obviously it’s a vintage ‘51 P Bass that’s been slightly modded over the years. :)

murphy likes this.
  8. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
  9. Tanner5382

Tanner5382 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    I read an odd thread. It's was the very oddest thread.

10. fleabitten

fleabitten

Nov 27, 2017
    ontario canada
    i don't remember when, but i've heard of these up in Canada. probably when i was a teenager in the 70's. don't remember what they looked like, but it was a real thing.

Ghastly, B-Mac and BubbaLee77 like this.
  11. Phaidrus

Phaidrus

Oct 25, 2009
    For the sake of public sanity, TB moderators should demand photos of the elusive bass or else delete the thread.
    Just joking, of course. :whistle:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    Justinian likes this.
  12. devnulljp

devnulljp

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    I doubt he'd have much to say on the subject ...

From the description, it was clearly this bass

instr_34.jpg

13. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Since you don't have access to the bass, you won't be able to repair it - until you have access. At that point, post pictures.

Rabidhamster, B-Mac and mexicanyella like this.
  14. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    I often go here to find brands I've not heard of or want to learn more about:
    All brands and manufacturers | guitar-list

It's not fully comprehensive, but it has a pretty long list of manufacturers and builders. Teller, as mentioned already, was an acoustic and classical brand, there's some information on them in the links.

I think though that also as mentioned, this could be a "house brand" from some import company in the 60s or 70s. Teisco made a lot of instruments back in the day and would sell them under many names. Fujigen and Matsumoku are Japanese manufacturers who also produced many instruments sold under other names. In the 70s and early 80s there were also a lot of Korean made guitars sold in north america as store brands. For example, in Canada, there was a chain called Mr. Entertainment that sold guitars like this under Series A and other names.

As others have mentioned, if it's a "knockoff" of a Fender P, then there's a good chance that off the shelf fender replacement parts will fit it. It will take a review of pictures, and possibly some measurements posted up to help. Quite a few builders, techs and hobbyists are on this site and will have plenty of resources to share about where to find parts that may fit. Pics will be pretty essential to get that help. :D

JRA, Justinian and DirtDog like this.
  15. Grinderman

Grinderman

Dec 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I feel like this is a riddle and the answer is the OP, who got the bass when they were 16, is actually 17 now. :roflmao:

Seriously, I googled "Teller bass" and this is what came up.

Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 8.13.01 AM.png

16. BassDaddy77

BassDaddy77

Feb 12, 2010
    NE Ohio
    I woke up in a bit of a fog this morning. I'm on my 3rd cup of really strong coffee and after reading through this thread, I'm not entirely sure that I'm awake, reading this, or if I've actually replied. So I suppose this post may or may not exist, except within the confines of my mind....

Something about a magician and a pigeon and a bass missing frets and strings. Is the magician dressed as a pigeon, and the trick was to make the frets and strings disappear???

I don't do drugs, but this has got to be some sort of altered mental state I'm in.

S-Bigbottom, DTRN, Oddly and 3 others like this.
  17. BubbaLee77

BubbaLee77

Aug 4, 2021
    Exactly, take away the humbucker and replace the split coil pickup with a single humbucker. But, everything else is the same.

18. Andy R

Andy R

Mar 14, 2019
    There’s a German company “Teller” who make violin, cello and bass bridges, among other components but I can’t see that they’d have any connection with a generic P bass copy?

It’s a weird post anyway - it’s like me saying that my first bass was a slab bodied, short scale Hofner (cherry red). It actually was, serial # was 279 - a friend of mine snapped the neck at the headstock by sitting on it in the back of a car. I repaired that but it later, amazingly, was stolen....
    And no, I actually don’t have any photos of it ‘cos I was only about 16 at the time but if I had, I’d post them.
    I don’t get this whole “I don’t have access to my bass” crap....

Justinian likes this.
  19. Andy R

Andy R

Mar 14, 2019
    View attachment 4496981
    Well, not exactly....

20. BubbaLee77

BubbaLee77

Aug 4, 2021
    It's the closest to the bass I've been talking about. That I have ever seen... Thank you

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 20, 2022

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.