1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I have an opportunity to buy a Lakland bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smcd, Jun 9, 2011.

1. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I'm not intimately familiar with the marque. The bass, from what I can tell, is a "classic' model. It has a solid finish with a pickguard and Bartolini pickups.

The odd thing is that I can't find anything that says "Made in the USA" anywhere on the bass. My impression is that there should be a decal on the back of the headstock indicating US manufacture. Another odd thing is that I can't find a serial number anywhere on the bass. Anywhere obvious, that is.

I would guess that it's not a Skyline, as the decal on the headstock says "Lakland" only. Does this all seem right? The guy wants $1,400.

2. CTC564

CTC564 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Toms River,NJ
    I had a USA that had Bart's in it too

Never saw a MADE IN USA decal and couldn't find serial# either

Price sounds fair...

3. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Strange that it doesn't have a serial number. The model is a 44-94.

4. CTC564

CTC564 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Toms River,NJ
    44-94 is USA model

Great bass...I'd jump on it if I were you

5. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Look on the edge of the headstock, tuner side. Stamped in with a tool.

6. CTC564

CTC564 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Toms River,NJ
    Check the side of the headstock

That's where it is on my new one

7. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    The older Laklands do not have a Made in USA decal. The serial number is on the upper edge of the headstock, near the E / A tuners. The actual model number is 4-94, not 44-94. The import models are 44-01 & 44-02. $1400 is a good price for a US 4-94.

8. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Thanks for the input.

9. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    So did you ever find a serial number?

10. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I'll know later this afternoon.

11. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I have two Deluxe 4-94, and had a Classic 4-94. These were all made well before 2000, and the serial number is stamped on the headstock's upper edge between the E and A string tuners, as others have noted. It's a 3 digit number stamped into the wood in very small characters only about 3/16" tall. There's no ink, just the numbers pressed into the wood. Lakland's website provides a dating system too. No "Made in USA" anywhere on them.

I love them, and it's the only bass brand I'd buy sight unseen because the consistency between all the ones I've touched (US and Korean) has been excellent. I got my first one through a fluke, and after playing one unamplified note knew it was the only bass that could supplant my then 16 year old Fullerton Vintage Series '62 Precision as the "go to" bass. At the first gig I used the 4-94, after the first song the drummer leaned over and said "Don't ever play another bass with this band!". The sound man (one of the rare treasures who has great ears and is a real musician) came up after the first set and said "That bass has cleaned up the whole bottom end of the band. Not only does the bass sound better, it makes the kick, floor toms, keyboards, congas, and acoustic guitar sound better".

I got the classic a few years later (trading in a pre-EB StingRay that never sounded right compared to the other pre EB 'Ray I had foolishly sold many many years before- coincidentally to Dan Lakin) for it without regret. The only reason I don't have the Classic is because I found a fretless 4-94 that matched my fretted Deluxe and had to part with it.

John

12. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Sure did. 3 digit number right where you said it would be.

13. I have two 55-94s and have played a 4-94. The '99 and '01 basses don't have a "made in the USA" sticker whereas the '09 does. I would say they started to put them after they launched the Skyline series in '01.

FYI, I've had japanese SL4-94 and SL55-94 and neither had a "made in Japan" sticker