1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I have angered the Gods !!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TWISTEDSTRINGS, Mar 13, 2013.

1. TWISTEDSTRINGS

TWISTEDSTRINGS

Oct 13, 2012
    This has been a crappy month so the gods must be pissed at me/us...First off last month we had our practice studio broken into and all our gear stolen. Luckily(with a promise of a blood offering) we had a idea of who did it and with some ever so gentle persuasion(the blood offering) we got most of it back(I watch way to much Spartacus and Vikings). Then my brand new(5 months old) Stingray4 neck somehow warped(happen to anyone else?), so that`s off to SLO..next my older backup SR4s bridge cracked(no idea how) and I have a gig tonight, so I had to unpack the SR4 to be shipped out and use that bridge for the time being. SKIP TO HERE TO GET TO THE POINT..
    during all the mayhem I was setting up my Fender American Dlx J5 just in case I need it and the preamp took a shat(yes,i said shat) on me so I`m looking for some advice on a really good preamp, maybe a drop in ? Also maybe change out the pups while I`m at it so it all matches ?? could really use some help from Fender Jazz owners or anyone in TB land out there that have made good changes ...

2. CSEbass

CSEbass

Feb 11, 2013
    Tampa
    Direct drop in replacement is a debatable issue when talking of preamps in a Jazz bass. Space on the top route is something to consider. Modification may be necessary in many cases with the exception of using a J-Retro 01 or Deluxe depending on whether or not the the output jack is out the side of the body.

Aguilar pre's are an option. You can fit anything you want if you put your mind to it. You can use the control plate as a scribing tool and provided that you can remove the material carefully you can fit anything from a Pope Flexcore to a Bartolini or Nordstrand Pre. Ideally have a rear route and keeping the vintage look of the control plate on top would be ideal a'la Sadowsky style.

With pickups and preamp the style of music that you play most commonly and the tone you are looking for all factor in. If you would elaborate some on what you are looking for tonally.

I have used Nordstrand,Dimarzio, and now Delano pickups which the Delano's are truly my cup of tea. They are somewhat unknown to the US community it appears as there is little reviews and very few companies that carry them.

Used East, Taurus, and no-preamp and passive controls with many some of the pickups as well. Honestly wish I had a Pope as the transparency and tonal flexibility of that preamp is something to be desired.

3. The East is crowded in a stock cavity, but I love mine in my fretless J with Di Marzio Js and tape wounds.

4. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    An East is like the ultimate choice for a Jazz Active. Plus it also helps lighten your wallet if that is a problem! :D

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Mike Pope Flex Core.

6. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Audere Jz3 and Dimarzio Area J's if you want traditional Jazz tone but better, and Ultra Jazzes or Quarter Pounders if you want added balls without dropping $1K on pickups and preamp. This combo (pickups and pre) cost less than a flexcore alone.....LOL

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    this all sounds odd; MM necks don't usually just "warp", their bridges never just "crack", and preamps don't often die spontaneously like that.

three nicer USA basses all died on you? at the same time?

the one bass might just need a truss rod tweak, the preamp issue could be something simple like a bad battery clip or a busted wire, and i wanna see a pic of a bent-steel music man bridge that's "cracked".

8. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

If space is an issue you can use a Dremel with a coarse sending drum and hog out wood in the side walls of the rout below the top of the bass. Fast, easy, discrete. no one will ever know.

9. TWISTEDSTRINGS

TWISTEDSTRINGS

Oct 13, 2012

10. micgtr71

micgtr71

Dec 4, 2012
    I had a stingray 4 and a sterling 4 and the necks would go out of whack each seasonal change. It is the only thing I did not like about those basses. I was always hesitant to tweak the truss rod.

11. themarshall

themarshall

Jun 26, 2008
    cochrane wi
    Ho. Lee. Crap. It's cracked, allright. Congratulations, sir. You have provided the first photographic evidence I've seen of potential structural issues with the ubiquitious "bent tin" bridge. Almost like the bass guitar equivalent of a crisp snapshot of an "undiscovered" North American primate.

12. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    I dropped Dimarzio ultra jazz pups and a nordstrand preamp in my jazz
    it instantly became my favorite gig bass

13. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    agreed!
    that's good news. at least music man believed you! (they're notoriously stingy with releasing any individual parts; did they make you send them the bad parts first?)

14. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

"Bent tin": that steel is about the same thickness as the control arm mounts on any unibody car. Steel sometimes fails, oh no. :0

Yep, rare as Bigfoot pics. :D