Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I have anothe question...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Greenantgods, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Greenantgods

Greenantgods

Oct 18, 2004
    it is about fretless and fretted basses.....do most like rock bands have the fretted or fretless.

2. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I think most do like rock bands, yes.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I like rock bands too.

4. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Fretted.

5. Fretted. Certainly fretted. I don't think half of those putzes would know what to do with a fretless.

6. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8

Who you calling a putz?

7. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    There have been rock/metal artists who've made the warm, woody, horn-like "mwah" sound of fretless basses sound awesome in the context of rock/metal. Steve DiGiorgio and Shawn Malone come to mind.

Much of the time, fretless is played using flatwound or half-round strings, which don't get the kind of definition that traditional roundwounds do.

However, the majority of rock/metal artists use fretted basses. Especially since slap-pop is popular in modern rapcore/nu-metal, a fretted bass is a better choice since heavy slapping on a fretless bass (with roundwounds) can chew up a fingerboard.

Either way, both in terms of playing and sound, fretted and fretless basses are different animals.

8. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Yes, I very much prefer my rock bands to have either a fretted or fretless bass player (or like JT in Lord Only, one who does both), I also generally prefer that (s)he plays interesting stuff.

9. Right. This only applies to rock bands that I don't listen to, though.....