1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I Have Bass Attention Deficit Disorder (BADD)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jamvan, Feb 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Beautiful TWB Sterling Ray34 Bass

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. Basic Boring 2x12 Speaker Cab

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Passive Carrots

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Active Carrots

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    Help me. Stopped off at the local music store to see if they had a particular cab in stock. I had some cash to burn but unfortunately, they didn't have the one I was looking for. They'd be happy to order it for me if I wanted. So, I had a little time to kill and they have gear so I wandered...

Now, I'm a passive bass, Fender/Squier (mostly) Jazz kind of guy so I've played almost every Fender/Squier or other passive bass they have in the store at one point or another (the store resides between my home and work so it gets frequented quite a bit) and it didn't appear they had any new kit on the floor. So, on a lark, I took a TWB Sterling Ray34 down off the wall that has been there for a while. It looks like this:

Ray34TWB__44078.

...and DAAAAAAAAAYYYYUUUUUUUMMMMMMM!

I don't know exactly what it was but this bass just flat out floored me. I typically hate anything wider than a typical 1.5" Jazz nut but this one felt really comfortable and I didn't have any trouble adjusting to the wider spacing. Likewise, I'd picked up and played a couple EB StingRays and they always felt heavy and bloated to me. But this one. This beautiful Transparent White Blond ash bodied beauty felt light and airy to me. And the growl. Just sitting on the stool, playing it acoustically, I could hear the growl coming from this thing. It flat out floored me so I had to plug it in.

Again, passive player here. I don't really like the sound or battery hassle of active basses in general. Again, plugging it in, I had to do some tweaking of the three band EQ but once I found it, you know, THAT sound, I ended up playing waaaayyyy too long. Fortunately, my wife called and my vibrating cell phone reminded me that I do have places to be.

So now, I'm torn between getting the cab I went in to buy or living for a while without the cab and picking this up instead. As is the purpose of TB, I turn to you, loyal fellow bassists afflicted with BADD, to give me the advice necessary to make a decision. What would you do?

2. All your answers are in your post. Buy the bass.

pacojas likes this.
  3. Cliff notes version :
    You know, falling in love is somtimes strange, and you end up getting married with exactly the opposite of the girls you went out with before.
    Well, here you are.

Expanded :
    Why are you defining yourself as a "passive" player ? Because you only played passive, or tried some active basses that were not good enough ? Were they not good enough because of active, or somthing else ?
    I spent - honestly - over 10 years trying to persuade myself that I was a Jazz Bass kind of guy, never satisfied, always trying something else, p'ups, preamps...
    Until I plugged a P-Bass.
    That NECK, wide and comfortable. That Sound, Tubey, Thumpey...
    You're not what you think you are, mostly. You are what your heart tells you, and your heart tells you to get that bass tonight while commuting.
    BTW, try to find an anodized gold PickGuard, kinda like this :
    336406-.

Damn, you got me gassing, too.

plankspanker13, pacojas and Jamvan like this.
  4. Jamvan

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    It was the constant fear of dead batteries (joke). Ha! No, my first and only active bass was an Ibanez SR305 and I just flat out didn't like anything about that bass, including the fact I could not dial in a usable tone. I've always loved the sound, feel, and style of a Jazz bass. I've played (and own) P basses but I always come back to the J.

Regardless, I may have just answered my own question on whether I need another cab...One may be enough...(New rig, new results!)

IMG_5222.JPG

IMG_5221.JPG

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    SpitfireCWII likes this.
  5. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    Bring your number 1 & 2 basses from home into the store and then switch back and forth between the MM.

If there is even the slightest hesitation on your part between switching (I need a minute or 30 to get used to it) then it will collect dust sooner than later.

Jamvan likes this.
  6. Jamvan

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    I think I was drawn to this one as it kind of matches my P bass.

FullSizeRender 3.

Henrythe8 likes this.
  7. EVerderame

EVerderame

Feb 17, 2016
    buy yourself a few rechargeable 9v batteries
    i never had problems w/ dead batteries in my active basses, they last enough

8. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    I'm more afraid of the batteries going dead in the tv remote than I am in my bass.

Jamvan and EVerderame like this.
  9. If I was going to get a Stingray, it would be a double humbucker.

10. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    A whole lot of bass for a pretty good price. As you said, you're a Fender guy but you don't need a Fender. You played this and you know it's a whole different animal.
    And thanks for reminding me. I've been thinking about putting this one on layaway...I think I'll take a ride and see if it's still there. 154y0yo.
    $100 off because it's missing a knob and it's been sitting in the store since new.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    Jamvan likes this.
  11. Jamvan

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    Crap. My BADD is getting worse. Just saw this...

BMR01-edited1.