I have become enlightened...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crazyphil, Oct 14, 2002.

1. I'm a beginner..so it's no secret. In reading these boards I've searching for the best bass to learn on, as well as buying a bass that is a true keeper. First there was the Ibanez GSR 200. Great bass for beginners, but I traded it in for a Warwick Rockbass a month down the road. Didn't like the sound of the Rockbass, so I returned it for a MIM Fender..nice and deep, but un-slappable and the electronics left a little to be desired. Back it went and in came an Ibanez Sound Gear 480. Nice bass, stays in tune, looks good, but the damn strings are so close together. So I go to the store and pick up an Ibanez BTB 4005QM. Beautiful bass, but I didn't like it..brought it back..prayed....performed the African Bass Dance, and a light shined through the heavens. The clouds opened up and down came a Red Music Man Stingray 4-string.

Although I cannot use this instrument to its full potential due to my lack of skills, this is the bass I will continue to learn on......this is the bass I will have 25 years from now...

I now see what all the fuss is about; I have become enlightened...
  2. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    So basicly, you took yourself out of years of bass buying and GAS satisying. Real class job, kid :rolleyes:

See, this is why you try out the basses before you buy em ;) Enjoy the Stingray!
  3. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey crazyphil, you said you could not slap on the mim bass? maybe the bass was not the problem. What I am trying to say is it is normal when we start to play we try to play everything we like and hear without learning how to play the instrument. It is VERY important that you learn how to play the instrument first then learn how to apply the different styles. It is very hard to unlearn bad habit's, and it is a poor craftsmen who blames his tool's.
  4. SixString

Jul 20, 2002
    thats all nice and good but mim basses do suck...
  5. I'm glad you like the StingRay. You may still have GAS. Since I've owned my SR5 I've bought 10 other basses! ( 5 of which I've sold ) I just keep on goen back to the SR5 when I get tired of my latest GAS.
  6. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    I bought my first MM4 in 1978....After my 4001 was stolen. My Rick getting stolen was probably the best thing to happen. I've never looked back. I've owned other basses and played other basses but when it's time for the gig my SR5 is the only bass to go out with any more. And besides that My SR5 doesn't care if I fool around with other basses even if she's in the same room. I guess she knows I'm hooked on her.

Have fun with your MM
  7. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Ahh... opinions :D

8. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    That's what we're here for!

I do feel you will make further advancements up the buying ladder in time. I had a Carvin LB75 and topped out on that style with a Cirrus 5. I had an SR5 but believe I've topped out with the Lakland.
  9. Ah yes, Crazyphil, welcome to the congregation of the Stingray. Worship is all the time and you can bring as many friends as you like.

They are great, are they not? :)

Mike J.
  10. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Congrats on the new bass.. I owned an SR5 for awhile.. but recently sold it to make room for... something else... ;)

MIM basses are decent basses though... I've never had problems slapping on one... Maybe it is your technique.. you did say you were a beginner.. I'm not trying to get on you.. when I was a beginner.. i didn't mess with slap bass.. when I did.. I had a hard time with accuracy and getting the right tone.. but that all comes with practice....

Good luck with the Ray though.. its a good one :D
  11. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    gosh I wish you would have told me that yesterday.... I almost bought one! :eek: Silly me!

12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

13. Congrats!!

MM Stingrays do rock,no doubt about that.I have only played one a few times @music stores but was impressed by the quality feel and the signature sound.Now if that darn neck were`nt so thick(or I had bigger hands...)*sigh*

Enjoy your new `Ray dude! :)
  14. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Has any one else had the experience of thinking they had the permanent cure for gas, and then your idea of the perfect bass sort of evolves into something different???

Not to rain on anyone's parade. Enjoy it while it lasts and may it last a lifetime.
  15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That takes a great deal of intelligence, to formulate such an insightful and ostensible platitude. Such regurgitations give great insight to one's nescience.
  16. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    They sound great when I play 'em...:p
  17. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO

embellisher, man you are such an unhelpful jerk!

18. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    eh, he's just giving vent to his eloquacity thru extraneous bombastic circumlocution...
    I think.
  19. embellisher

You, sir, have my most vercund gratitude.
  20. embellisher

Avec plaisir; chi tace accousente...

or something...