Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I have been shedding basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, May 7, 2003.

1. I have been using only one bass for the past few months...my home made 5 string. It was fretless, now fretted. It does.

The jazz bass was sold a couple of months ago, and the Yamaha seems to have now gone...I agreed a sale today.

My next bass will be a fretless unlined Sadowsky four string...and however expensive they are, it's still less than a twentieth of the price of the cheapest cruise missile.

Why sell basses just to buy more? I want better.

Now, to come to the point. Does Candy Apple red go with an ebony board, or should I stick with Pao Ferro, or thingywotsit (can't recall the rosewood substitute offhand). And should I order with the older silver backed CAR, or the gold backed?

Save me from making the wrong decision!!

2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI!

Any Sadowsky would be a great investment. Any color, # of strings, or type of board. Go for it!!!

Rob

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    clear red with white guard and maple board. wooo. does he do matching headstocks? woo woo. and gold hardware. woowoooWOOO!!

4. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Whatever board you decide get the matching head stock. That looks so cool! Id personally go with an eboy board, if it has a dark back shade to it.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Candy apple red on a Sadowsky? Ish. Buckeye burl or buy a Rogue.

6. Listen, God plays CAR.

There is no discussion here. The bass WILL be CAR. The only issue is whether it is red over silver or gold. And of course matching headstock!!

I don't think maple makes a good fb for fretless, but I am open to persuasion.....

7. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Here is CAR with a very dark Brazilian rosewood. I'd go for the ebony, myself.

(It's not a Sadowsky but at least it's a '63;) )

[​IMG]

8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Hey, Andy, haven't seen you around in a while. Shedding basses? You know, I think they make an ointment for that ....

Since you asked for input, my vote is for the ebony FB. Looks better with CAR, IMHO, and is in any case the classic choice for a fretless FB. For my money (which of course it isn't), nothing looks better for an unlined board than ebony. I dunno what other choices Sadowsky has on offer, but between pau ferro, maple, and ebony, I'd take ebony every time. Now, having said that, I'm considering phenolic as an option for the fretted-fretless pair of basses I'm having made now, but I'd still prefer ebony if the luthier can get a couple of pieces that are sufficiently well dried and stable.

As for the silver vs gold, I'd go with silver.

In any case, it's kinda hard to go wrong here. It comes down not to good or bad but to great or greater.

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've been selling off some of my basses & i'm down to 6 basses. :eek:
    If you're buying a Sadowsky, their is no wrong decision. :bassist:

10. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I have had a Fender with the golr over red and still have a 70s Fender jazz with the red over silver.
    I like the silver over red better, personally.
    I'd go with the ebony board as well.

11. I have only been posting sporadically recently, other than a brief political flurry in the lounge during the war...70 weeks and no gigging take the edge off the need...

But thanks to all for the input....John's in particular has made me think....

Food for thought. That's what it all is.

12. My thoughts:

1) I agree with Richard L. 100% ebony is the best looking unlined board. Some of you may disagree, but, think of it from a photographic point of view:
    Silver stings against a black board - :cool:
    Now think:
    Silver strings against a tan maple board - :(

I knew you'd see it my way. :)

2) I think red over silver looks more "alive," than red over gold.

3) A matching headstock only looks good to me if the bass has a wood grain finsh and the headstock matches exactly. I don't like solid color bodies and headstocks.

Just my $.02

Mike