1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I have come to the conclusion..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OldHack, Nov 9, 2010.

1. OldHack

OldHack

Jan 3, 2005
    ..I don't like SS because it's too brittle

..I don't like Hybrids because you can't get a nice tube power section sound out of them, especially with effects like grind and crunch

..I don't like tube amps because they don't give a fast enough modern tone at high enough volumes

If we're going pre out into a DI, or even miked, isn't everyone hearing SS FOH anyways?

Oh well, play what you like, play what you don't like. :rolleyes:

(sorry for being Mr. Negative today, I spent the entire afternoon in a fruitless attempt at finding some paper files)

2. Crank a small tube amp, like a B15, mic it, and send the feed into a big SS amp/cab......:D

3. Mo_Fonk

Mo_Fonk

Oct 14, 2010
    Some days it just all comes together and works. :bassist:

4. cycler

cycler

Oct 6, 2010
    Your amp is fairly irrelevant once the out hits the DI to FOH in most instances anyone here will ever see. Of course you odds improve a little if the FOH board guy isn't an ex-drummer but how rare is that ?

5. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    That is why I get most of my tone from my pedalboard, so I can send it to FOH. It drove me absolutely insane when I used to bring a Hiwatt amp to gigs only to have the sound guy insist (and I do mean INSIST) on using a direct box instead of miking my cab. I've had guys actually try to tell me they could "make it sound the same" as my Hiwatt...yea. With a VT Bass into a DI, it's not an issue anymore.

6. Martin89

Martin89

Nov 8, 2010
    Glendale, AZ
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    Stick to playing unplugged acoustic venues ;)

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Bring enough rig for the gig and use it.:D

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Wow, a lot of misplaced notions here...

9. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Maybe I'm not gettin it...

Are you comparing SS to Tube?...or SS to something that you heard?...or just think it should be like?..Or tube to something else..

So...you ...can't "hear" the tube power section in a Hybrid?..is that the trouble?

I really shouldnt be commenting on this...this late after Ive hada few...
    Maybe bass just isnt your thing.

Carry on..

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm happy with my solid state amps (WTX-500, Heart-Rock, AG500).

I'm happy with my hybrid amps (WT-300, WT-800, DB750)

I don't have any tube amps (my back thanks me).

I don't get the OP.

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

Aye.....there's the problem. :bag:

Try plugging your bass into a bass rig and see what happens. Multiple pedals/effects tend to chip away at the natural fat sound of the bass IMO. An effect or 2 can be cool if used in moderation but like many other things in life, there's a difference between use and abuse.

12. OldHack

OldHack

Jan 3, 2005
    I totally agree. I (the one with the problem) go direct through a digital wireless. My tuner is on the amp tuner out jack. Both basses are active, though.

13. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Active basses? Have you recently done an amp shootout with a passive instrument?

14. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I'm 100% with Munji on this. If I were going to get all depressed about things, it'd be because that there are so many great options and so many great sounds to be had from them, at ridiculously low price points, that some days it's tough to choose what to play. And getting one's "sound" out to the mains is a trivial exercise in 99% of cases. Or should be, unless the people involved are either ignorant or decide to make Some Big Deal out of it.

15. IMO if you don't like whole 'classes of amps', then you either haven't tried enough of them (i.e., making your sweeping statement by trying one Eden at a Guitar Center or whatever), or (no offense) you have technique issues (which I've found to be shockingly common at all the GTG's I've attended. Very often, garbage in equals garbage out, not matter what the rig is (by garbage, I mean an undefined, sloppy, loose tone coming out of a bass played by someone who hasn't done the years of woodshedding required to generate a clean, powerful, even signal for the amp to reproduce).:)

16. I think y'all might be missing the OP's point. It seems to me he's being facetious. The first three statements are heard regularly around here from people who are in the tube, ss, and hybrid camps. So he's demonstrating the irony that it all ends up out of a ss FOH system in the end.

That's how I interpret it anyway.....

17. If that's the case, then what a waste of a thread:) There are many, many players (especially those who make their living gigging) who play many, many gigs without front of house support.

We are not all kids playing for nothing in bars, nor are we all, of course, doing stadium or high end touring gigs:p

18. I know, I know...but sometimes there's some off the wall logic on this forum. :confused:

19. :D I actually like this as a 'real' topic. I am, at most, an average player (typical 'B' level player... good enough to make a living playing, but not talented enough to play 'A' level gigs), but continue to be rather surprised when I finally hear some of the TBer's who post a lot actually play! It's not about being 'smoking' versus 'not smoking' (very few players are smoking in an absolute sense), but rather to have the ability to get a good, precise, clean (chops wise, not necessarily tonewise) tone out of a bass guitar (plugged or unplugged).

LOTS of money (and posts) spent trying to fix tonal issues that only the woodshed will address:meh:

Edit: For all I know, the OP is smoking... so this isn't directed at him... more general musing on the topic.

20. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    Is this thread one for the humor forum, by chance?