Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I have come to this conclusion.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jawzzz, Jul 30, 2003.

1. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    The preamp in the Ampeg SVT IV Pro sucks.I have heard many people complain about how disappointed they were with the volume of thier SVT IV. I thought it was loud, but it could use more volume. Tweaking with the preamp made some difference, but it would also clip the preamp very easily.

So tonight, I hooked up my SVP PRO( thanks again Big Joe) in to the SVT IV. This bypasses the IV pro's preamp and uses only the SVP. WOW! What a difference this makes. The gain is at 2 o'clock,drive at 11 o'clock and the master is at about 7 o'clock. If I turn up the master to 9 o' clock, the house will shake. Has anyone else tried this before? Makes me wonder if Ampeg did this on purpose to sell more of thier products. I could not be happier with my set up now.:bassist:

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i'm very glad to hear that it is working out for you there... it really is a great preamp! you may do well to get rid of that svt iv since your not really getting the most from it and get yourself a good, high-powerered power amp. your new preamp did rather well with the good ole qsc rmx 1850 in just about any size venue i played. don't know what svt 4's go for on the used market but you might even make a couple bucks off the deal as well... :cool:

:bassist:

3. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I have been thinking about a new power amp, but it is hard to justify since I already have a Crowm CE 1000 that sounds pretty good. But that money sure does get hot when it is in my pocket.;)