I have fallen in love with "the stick"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by juanpauribe, Dec 5, 2003.

1. juanpauribe

Dec 16, 2001

its like a piano but with strings, i find it truly amazing and very much would like to learn to play it. although expense is a problem.
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I've seen Greg Howard live (sat about four feet in front of him). Fantastic musician.
  3. http://www.austindouglasguitars.com/

Cheaper than a Stick, and without the litigiousness. (Stick inventor Emmett Chapman has a history of filing frivolous patent infringement lawsuits despite the fact that his now-expired patents were erroneously granted in the first place.)
  4. The site mentions a one-string guitar as well, but there are no pictures, and it's $500 more than the 8 or 10 version...........why is it so expensive?
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    THat tone is so killer.
  6. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    that thing is awesome. ive heard of someone using it before but ive never acually heard it or see it being played. that thing is awesome. my band would be like, "brian, what is that thing? you are so retarted." but then id play it, but not quite as good as that guy, and theyd be like, brian, go solo, you are kicked out of the band. and then id get a record deal and then id buy talkbass and make supporting memberships nonexistant so everyone could have an avatar under their name...but, thats just me.
  7. appler

appler Guest

Pianos have strings. ;)
    Just messin' around. Anyway, that stick thing looks really amazing... if you get one make sure you post back and tell us about it!
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Well, you're not rich, and you don't own Talkbass. If you want an avatar, send in $20. That's cheap to keep the best site on the web running.
  9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    The ADGs are part of Warr Guitars, which I believe to be not only much more beautiful instruments, though a bit more pricey, but a company I would MUCH rather deal with than Mr. Chapman. My only experience with touch instruments have been with Sticks, and I would love to have one someday, but it's quite an investment for an instrument you're not exactly sure of.
  10. mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    litigiousness? Cool PM...... you're the only one (other than my bro who's a judge) that I've ever heard use that term.

11. :smug: :smug: :smug:
  12. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Heh..he's back and extra smug, as always ;).

I've always been interested in Sticks- I heard a guyplay one in the mall once and he sounded really good. I really like to tap too. I make full use of the tapping range on my 5 string tenor. Those sutin douglas tapping guitars looked killer!
  13. John Myung of dream theater used one.

- w00t
  14. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Yes, great musician. I was only two feet in front of him. :spit:
  15. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    I need money! I want one of those!

Greg is the man! [​IMG]
  16. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I once had an opportunity to buy a Stick for 500 bucks. The guy had decided to go Warr instead and he only needed 500 to pay for the Warr. Alas, I didn't have the cash. :(

brad cook
  17. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I have a Warr I scored from Dave Grossman. I am currently tuning it FCGDAEBF#D. I started bringing it to band practice two months ago, and haven't brought in my bass since. Perhaps I should leave TalkBass and hang around at TalkStick from now on.:meh:
  18. I wonder how hard one of these is compared to playing bass ...
  19. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I imagine that playing just the bass part is easier but playing them both together WELL is harder.