Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I have finally got the bass of my dreams...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, Aug 3, 2002.

1. My '83 JV series Squier jazz bass is finally back from the refinishers. And it outclasses my old '64 jazz bass in every respect other than the pickups. And that can be remedied.

It astonishes me!

2. send in some pics. bet it looks good!!!! :D

congrats Morty :p

3. Hmmm..

Thanks, but I expected more response. I post suggesting that an '83 Squier outclasses a '64 jazz and I get no outraged reaction.

What has happened to this place?

:)

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I dunno.:confused:

Can I have your '64 if you don't like it anymore?:)

5. Nobody's responding because we all think you're crazy or trolling! :p

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Hi Andy. It's getting harder these days to find someone who gets outraged because of something you like.

7. Wow, finally some on else who has found a Squier that outmatches a Fender. :D

I love my Squier P bass, better sounding and feeling than most every Fender and Fender clones I've played. I have the same complaint about the pick ups, too. I plan on replacing them soon. What type of pick ups are you putting in yours?

Congrats, man! Post some pics if you get a chance, I'd like to take a look.

8. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Andy I dont know when you came back but welcome back

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    No outraged reaction? Hmn. Hows this?:D

A SQUIER!? BETTER THAN 64? Andy, you clearly have been on the drugs, and I think you need to stop listening to that rock music.
    I mean, it's a sheer quality issue. A 64 jazz has better parts and attention to detail than that Squier could possibly have. It's CRAZY, Andy. I think you should lay off the coffee. Now a 64 Jazz...THERE'S a thing of beauty. Clearly you head is stuck up yer butt. Get it out, and THEN we'll talk about out classed.

How's that? Feel better now? You got an outraged response. Feel free to pretend I was actually angry or something. So if you respond, just leave this part out, and it'll be buisness as usuall! :D

10. Brendan,

Thanks. I feel better now.

Unfortunately, I sold the '64 a couple of years ago. It wasn't that good, and I don't miss it.

This Squier does play very prettily, and sounds excellent. The JV series Squier basses, the ones made in Japan between 82 and 84, are exceptional instruments. When I get round to taking some pics, I will post them

11. The JV series Squiers from the early 80s are among the best instruments Fender has ever produced (IMO, of course). A friend of mine has a sunburst 83 JV Jazz that I want very badly. He won't sell it though. He threatens to sell it, and when I offer him the cash he wants, he backs away, lousy bastige. Those are keepers if you can get your hands on one....

12. Keepers they are, indeed. I paid 200 dollars for mine. If it had been a MIM Fender, the guy would have asked twice as much. There are serious advantages to the name 'Squier' on the headstock!

And the fingerboard looks like Brazilian rosewood, as well....

I will replace the pups with some of those excellent creations Roger Sadowsky sells some time. The single coils.

13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I used to go see a blues band in Athens, and I knew the guitar player had a museum quality collection of Fenders and Gibsons (most of the Fenders pre-CBS, and all of the Gibsons from the 50s).

But, what did he use live? An 82 Squier Tele.

I asked him if it was because it was cheaper than the rest, and he responded, "Heck, no, I play this one because it plays better, and sounds better than anything I have from the 50s and 60s."

So, no outrage here. Just jealous that I didn't find "the magic Squier."

Congrats!

14. It's worth noting that, like any other mass-produced product, a fair percentage of pre-CBS Fenders are at best mediocre instruments, and in many cases out-and-out crap.

It's always heartening to hear about things like this. The MIJ-Squiers are great--a friend has an MIJ Squier Strat which he hotrodded with Duncan active single-coils. It sounds killer--the bridge pickup, soloed, sounds bigger than most Les Pauls'.

15. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Sweet! A new bass is always a joyous occasion. Have fun with it!

16. It turned out not to be the Fender Forum? ;)
    No, seriously, JV Squiers are considered to be brilliant instruments. I've got one, a P, myself, but I want another one. Mine's been, rudely, refretted and has been equipped with a new bridge. I wish it was stock.

17. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Lucky Andy, huh?
    Well, with a Squier J, of course you are! All Squier J, at least resident in this country, are japanese made, and veeery nice. Mucho better than most Fenders, including ADL!
    I play a japSquier P, that is also fine! Though less versatile than a J....I could consider changing the pup, but not the bass!!!
    Priceworthiest Fenders on the Globe!