Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I have GAS for the first time in a long time

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by learning_towalk, Aug 8, 2005.

1. I really want to get my hands on one of the 5 string Line6 Variax basses....the sounds on their site sounded really good...I want to try it out....any one wanna trade my upright for their 705??? lol jk, unless someone does ;)

:bassist:

are these on the market yet? bueller???

2. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    I played the 4 string version I there's really no tone I liked, the fuzz one was semi-decent, and all the real bass ones weren't good sound/most sounded the same. I felt a little delay on some of the settings too, and I was almost sold by their site also.

3. yah I wouldn't buy one....I just wanna mess around with one :)

I like playing with new toys

4. bman

bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    Let not your GAS result in shame. ;-)
    I own a Variax and I'm stunned at how great it sounds. I see a lot of people saying how it sounds sterile, digital... I just don't get it. I have never, ever been happier with my bass sound.

I didn't want identical representations of each model - just approximations.
    I use two mainly - the 'clang/green' (Rickenbacker w/rounds) and the upright. I use the upright on a lot of Elvis/Carl Perkins/Stray Cats stuff, and it is amazing.

GAS away!

5. No-No-No-No-No!!!!!!

I owned a Variax 700 when it first was shipped and initially, was entertained by it's emulation.

A few weeks later... the cumbersome body (heavy as hell) coupled with a myriad of other problems (battery issues, sounds not tracking well, no real distinctive voice to cut through in mixes) forced me to throw it up on Ebay. I raked back in a lot of dough, but really, to quote James Earl Jones, "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I played a 4 string the other day and not only did it play like poop but it just sounded like a computer trying to play bass.

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Now if this stuff don't poke a hole in yer gas tank nothing will.

The review in one of the bass magazines gave me some vairax gas for a while, it passed pretty quickly. The couple of negative comments here I think did away with it for good. I kind of had a feeling it couldn't be all the review said it was - and I remember the mention of the fact that it would probably cost like $100 in batteries a month with the amount I gig.

8. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    A lot of Variax haters on this forum. No doubt about it. I disagree and let's get some facts straight. I happen to agree with Bman. I have had a 4 string Variax, for a couple of months now and I'm amazed at how well it plays, and how good it sounds. It has the shape, feel and action of a nice J-bass and is similarly constructed (and no heavier either). I'm no noob, I've been playing over 20 years and have either owned or played most of the models represented. Most of them are very good, there is absolutely no delay in the sounds (though the harmonics can be wierd on the 8 and 12 string models), and there is nothing digital or computer sounding about it at all (except the synth models, but that's the point). It's as woody as most basses I've played (not however my Alembic). The action as it was set up out of the box was absolutely perfect and it played like butter. If you got hold of a floor model at GC, I have no doubt the set-up got screwed with and the presets got altered. The bass doesn't require batteries unless you want to use them (don't see why you would), it is powered through the supplied DI box (also nice). My opinion...it is a very nice and fun toy.

9. My opinion happened to be that I would much rather have a bass than a toy.

10. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    Well, when the electric bass first came out, it was regarded as a toy by "serious" bass players.
    What I meant was, it is fun to toy around with. As a serious instrument I feel that it holds its own (and I have "real" basses to compare it to...some of which are quite nice). To each his own, I guess.
    I will admit, however, that it is quite ugly. :meh: