1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I have GAS (please don't tell my wife!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassEnvy78, Jun 29, 2012.

1. BassEnvy78

BassEnvy78

Jun 28, 2012
    Hi guys,

I have been playing electric/acoustic guitar for +20years and have been suffering from GAS for quite a while!

I am looking into purchasing a decent bass for sh*t and giggles and maybe gig here and there.

I am in love with the Warwick Thumb 5 NT but could not find one at a good price (1000$ budget...). I am also a huge fan of the Ibanez AFR series that came out in the mid 90s but havent found any on CL, Ebay etc.

I found this:

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/msg/3095541388.html
    I lke the fact that it looks like a turn key deal
    Any thoughts?

I love fusion (jazz/rock/metal/world music) and I am also considering a used MTD Kingston KZ5 fretless ($800 s/h included). Why fretless? so I can start covering this tune:

I used to be a snob when i comes to country of origin as the Made in Korea/China/Indonesia could be a big hit or miss.

If you have any suggestion/help/links let me know!

BE78

2. She knows. They always do. Get it- she's devising a suitable series of punishments as we speak. :)

3. BassEnvy78

BassEnvy78

Jun 28, 2012
  4. My wife agreed w/me that the Thumb BO-4 I bought brand-new on my b-day in 98 was the best-sounding in GC. After trying to find the *same thing except a 5er* for several years and well over a dozen basses, she hates Warwicks w/a vigorous & bitter passion- which HAS nothing to do the bass FS in my sig. :ninja: Not the same one I bought new, BTW.

5. BassEnvy78

BassEnvy78

Jun 28, 2012
    Also you'll find below the list of my favorite bass sounds:

Jonas Hellborg "Throwing Elephant and Wrestling" from the Abstact Logic CD

And many more obviously...

6. ilikebass7

ilikebass7

Sep 7, 2008
    Endorsing Artist: Marco Bass Guitars
    I just bought a nt 4 thumb. Love it. Best sounding bass I've ever played and plays like butter. I have a clip if interested. You should get a 5

7. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Hope it's not too late to chime in....

I'll leave it to you to decide what you want, but the one suggestion I would make is that you forget about CL and Ebay and do your shopping right here in the TB classifieds!

8. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    Doesn't matter what bass you get, you'll end up replacing it with a Fender/G&L/Musicman. :)

9. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I would look into a Fender Deluxe Series Jazz Bass. I have one and I find it to be very versatile for different music. The active preamp runs the pickups hotter than the passive, has one volume, blend and a 3 band EQ. Don't know what the US runs for, but the MIM is $600, and put another $150 into US Noiseless pickups and you have one hot instrument.