Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I have GAS! Real GAS!! ROSCOE GAS!!! OH NOES!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassthumpa, Sep 22, 2005.

1. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I thought I knew what GAS was.
    I thought I knew how GAS felt.
    Boy was I mistaken.

Now that wifey is working and pulling in extra cash, I decided that I'd start keeping some cash aside and stack up to get a higher-end bass in a few months or so, somewhere in the $2-3k range. My Kingston 5'er is working fine for me, but now that I realize that I'm serious about learning and becoming a good bassist, I might as well get an axe that I REALLY like and make it my first keeper.

Now I've never really put my hands on many high end axes, so I knew I had to do my homework. I've read enough to know that for the type of music that I'll be playing (gospel), two names usually stand out: Smith and Roscoe. Since Smith is out of my price range, I figured I'd start out by getting my hands on a Roscoe.

So I make my way to Bass Emporioum to see what the deal is. I walked in and saw this beauty right from the door:

[​IMG]

At that point, I think I felt something twitch in my pants, but I ignored it and moved along. :ninja: I had a nice chat with the dude working there (not the owner who I've talked to on previous visits). For some reason, when I went there before, I didn't even touch the high end stuff, which was just about everything. I guess at the time I figured that I couldn't afford it, so why tease myself... I'm glad that I didn't!. Anyway, we started talking about the Roscoe since I mentioned seeing it online, and I went ahead and picked it up...

I played around with it myself, and he showed me how downright slap-nas-tay it can be... WOW. Just... WOW. I have to have that bass. I MUST HAVE IT. I went in thinking I'd check around and get something by February, March or so once I had the loot stacked just right... but now I find myself wishing I had the loot right now.

Now I'm thinking... maybe I shoudln't visit Austin Bass Traders next. I've always wanted to get my hands on an MTD 535 or an F-Bass BN5, and they have both in stock. If I go and touch those things, will my pain increase along with my budget and loot-stacking timeframe?? Who knows?

What I do know is that I now have true GAS. My gut hurts, but it hurts soooo good. I don't know how long I can go on in this condition! :help:

2. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    It's a slippery slope. :)

3. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx
    Yea that bass is a beauty. I was in there earlier today checkin out the white sadowsky. The other guy is Chuck by the way. He's a damn good bass player as well.
    -Greg

4. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA

You my friend are in trouble :cool:

5. I just have to say a thing....
    Save money first, make sure you have enough...
    Then, Drive to ABT, and BUY THE BASS from Roscoe, F Bass or MTD!
    The one which will suite most to you....

OK OK, I'm not a good adviser....
    But at least, I'm honest and explain how I would do!!:D

Good Luck
    Vince

6. Mysticflame

Mysticflame

Feb 8, 2005
    I don't mean to sound ignorant, but what's this GAS everyone talks about all the time? I've searched for it, but all I'm getting is referances to it from other topics. Also, that looks like quite the bass.

7. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    G.A.S. = Gear Acquisition Syndrome

8. Mysticflame

Mysticflame

Feb 8, 2005
    I guess that's a real problem around here then.

9. I've come to believe that GAS is actually two-fold: First one is struck with GAS, then another disease makes its appearance - EDS (Equipment Disposal Syndrome)...such as, what can I sell to get what I really want, how long will it take me, etc.

The cure for each is the other, but there needs to be an infusion of cash for the cycle to contine. My suggestion is to skim a little every gig (or paycheck, etc.)

:p

10. Mysticflame

Mysticflame

Feb 8, 2005
    It seems to me, that both have very dangerous side-effects. With gas, you got no cash, but with EDS, you don't have any equipment. I guess avoiding both would be the best way.

11. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Resistance is futile!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I know exactly what you mean with this statement. I try not to go window shopping; it's hard to pass on a great bass.

Many years ago I found a Modulus Q-4 for a really sweet deal but I only had plastic to pay with. I tried the bass out and everything that I could hear in my head, I could play.

What turmoil! :bassist:

Using better judgement and with all the willpower I could muster I passed on it and drove home with a massive tension headache. A few years ago I stumbled across another Q-4, I had the money this time and I bought it. I'm glad I waited until I had the cash.

The moral of my story is: Whatever brand of bass you decide upon, one will be available once you have the money saved up.

But if you do end up buying one in the next week, I certainly will understand! :D

-Art

13. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I have a rule: I never play anything I'm not prepared to buy.

Sure, it means I don't get to play a lot of great basses. But at least I can sleep at night. Big-time GAS pains can be misery. ;)

14. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Great looking bass! I love that birdseye maple board. You definitely should check out the other brands that interest you prior to making a final decision. I will say this though.........I've owned an F-bass and an original Tobias (and an Alembic Series I, Pedulla MVP 5, Lakland, Elrick 5....) and they're long gone now. But I've still got the Roscoe's! ;)

15. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Roscoe GAS is great GAS !
    Anyway, the only way to cure it is to get one or two Roscoe !
    ;:

But as Joe said it, you should definitly try the other high-end bass to be sure to choose the best one for you. When spending that kind of money, your choice must be the good one and no questions should staid unanswered.

Peace

16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ....Roscoe GAS??? Never heard of it....

:bag:

(...mine FINALLY actually started yesterday, officially! :D [Daffy Duck laugh: ON]Woohoo woo woo hoo hoo hoo hoowoowoohoooooo!!! [Daffy Duck laugh: OFF])

17. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia

'bout stinking time! :D

18. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

...can't argue that point!!!!

My only defense: I've been busy makin' sure everyone else got theirs first! ;)

19. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Even though I'm really happy with my stuff right now, actually happier than I've ever been, three little names keep wiggling around in my inner thoughts ..... Roscoe, LowEnd and Valenti ........

After spending a short time visiting Gard at Roscoe this past summer, I have to say that those basses are astonishing :bassist: I was major league impressed by what I saw .....

The LowEnd 7's have been on my wish list every since I saw the first pic of one. Come on, a 7 with a J body :eek: It's like the perfect marriage for me .....

And now, after the NYC GTG when I had the pleasure to play Nino's basses (especially that 5, OMG :hyper: ), a Valenti joins the quietly buzzing mass in my head ..........

I don't really have serious GAS yet, more like little Gas-ettes :cool:

........ Roscoe, Low End, Valenti ... Roscoe, Low End, Valenti ... Roscoe, Low End, Valenti ..... :help: Make it stop ....

20. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    No doubt, I'll definitely be checking the others out. It may be painful, but it'll be worth it in the long run.

How in the heck can you work there every day and not either be in total GAS pain or total bliss? It just ain't right!

The guys at Bass Emporium better get used to seeing me, because I'll propably pop in from time to time to wank^H^H^H^H... err... 'check out' that Roscoe and their other gear until I make my purchase.