I have given up and "Standard Tuning".

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Tecx, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Back when I played guitar, I never played in standard. Non of my guitarists ever play is standard... The las year or so I have found my playing to become a bit sterile and my impov was suffering. So for the past year or so I have been trying some of my guitar tuning out on my bass, but alas no sucsess. Untill today i tryed a tuning that I had never atempted before (for some strange reason), Robert Fripp's "New Standard Tuning - which is: C->G->D->A->E->G

So I am in CGDA, and... I LOVE IT... It is what I think I have been looking for... Its quite an amazing tuning, and it alows for some very interesting chordal paterns and shapes... I just need to wrap my head around it now, find the diatonics, octaves and such.... Also, considering I am starting a new band in the next few weeks this is the perfect time for a change...
  2. bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    A lot of guitar players use non-standard tunings to make them come up with new ways of playing and to find new patterns. There's nothing wrong with it if it works within the songs that you are playing.
  3. So that's like a cello an octave down, right? All in fifths? I tuned like that for a while (Bb F C G), but I didn't like jumping back and forth when crossing strings. Great chords in that tuning. If you got a Mandolin chord chart you could apply all those chord shapes directly. You'd just have to transpose them down a fifth to get the right names.
  4. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Holy crap... It is!!! Thanks man, I never even realised... And I play cello!!! ::smacks himself in head for being dumb...

Thanks for the tip on the mandolin chords, as I can use that for my bass and cello - which I didn't know I could do... Interesting...

I feel so dumb right now... :scowl:

5. Did you restring when you retuned? I don't like having uneven tension across my strings, so I always tune in fourths (or thereabouts). Low tension doesn't bother me (I spent the last couple of days tuned down a minor seventh), but uneven tension really bugs me.
  6. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    No I havn't restrung... Uneven sometimes bothers me, but its actualy not that bad... I may buy a custom set next time around, as I use very light strings and the low c is quite floppy...

I use 95-75-55-35 right now

I think I may go 105-85-55-35...

Anyone know hoe to get custom daddario sets???

7. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I tinkered with my old fretless 5 in AEBF#B for quite some time till it died on me. Occasionally went down from that one half step. The chordal possiblities and harmonics were really cool, and it was a great break from the norm. I couldn't play anything else on it for beans though.

I even used my regular D'addario Chromes, tuned down (an A tuned up for the first B), and then a dead round C.