1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I have had a tone epiphani

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by haujobb, Apr 7, 2006.

1. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Did anyone notice that after playing bass for a certain number of years, that they eventually just bypass they're eq?

I used to think that I had to have an eq to get "my sound", but for the fast few months I found that I could find an eq setting I like and have since bypassed it completely.

2. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Good tone as a result of technique, experience and musicianship? What a concept!

;)

:bag:

3. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Now I just gotta work on the technique, experience and musicianship and I'm set :p

4. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Yeah, i used to think i had to do all this rad eq to cut through and stuff...

I think running flat and just turning up a bit more is a good option :)

But of course, we do use eq for different sounds etc... i still always boost bass in my sound, but everything else is pretty flat

5. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    The only eq change I have made lately is dropping the bass slightly when I need a touch more headroom.

Also I do boost the highs a little bit on my bass's pre.

Other than that I'm really finding that it just sounds more natural with a flat eq.

6. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I find that onboard eq's aren't necessarily a must for the bass' sound to be good. Like you're discovering here.

7. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I'm mostly talking the graphic on my head, it just stays flat now.

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Invariably, every guy who starts a thread about not using EQ "just adds a tough of" this and "rolls off a bit of" that ; }

9. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I think the point I'm trying to make is that I no longer see an EQ as a tool to define your sound, more as a method to cater your sound to a specific situation.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    eh,

i usually plug into my...

oh, i'm corn.

11. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Yeah that happened to me. So much so that my amp doesn't really have any eq... no tweakable eq anyway.

12. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    I plug my rob allen (with just that one volume knob) into my amp, adjust gain and volume to taste and let er rip.

I plug my jazz bass (with the neck pickup rolled back a hair, or all knobs dimed) into my amp, adjust gain and volume to taste and let er rip.

13. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I created a Tube device to do this with amps and without eq's. I originally thought it up for guys testing basses out so they could hear the instrument and not what the instrument sounded like into a head with eq on it. It never give a true idea of the basses tone even if the eq is set flat. Many instruments today have great onboard eq's or sound so good passive, but the eq in a rack or head many times gets in the way or changes the signal to where its frustrating trying to adjust knobs to find what freq is getting in the way. I’ve had customer’s find many times the bass they came in to trade or sell wasn’t the problem after all, but what they were running it into.

The joys or learning and trying new stuff all the time!

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I like variety too much to go without EQ. Don't get me wrong, I'm totally cool with playing a passive bass direct into a mixing console. But I also like the ability to tweak my signal. Not just to compensate for room acoustics, but also to suit my mood. Sometimes I like clean and flat, sometimes I like curvy tones, sometimes I add overdrive, etc etc. So, I like to have EQ there even if I don't always use it.

Bottom line: EQs don't kill tone, people do. :p

15. zackattack

zackattack Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2006
    San Francisco
    Although I do now run in to my amp with a pretty much flat EQ, I've found that my EQ tweaking over time has just become slight more reserved, for example when I first started playing I fell in to the smiley face eq of doom for cutting through in the mix trap, because it does sound good when you play by yourself. Now I find myself slightly boosting the mids if anything, and changing my EQ setting depending on what kind of room that I'm in, not just having a standard EQ that I have to go for, for "my sound".

I think my j-retro preamp has an in built bass boost of about 6db at 80hz but apart from that, I'll only ever increase the mids at around 250.