Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I HAVE HAD IT WITH BEHRINGER!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Dec 12, 2003.

1. ok, i know i posted this already, but now I am venting. It happened again. To anyone that didn't read my last post, my stupid behringer has been having a problem with volume. All of a sudden (and yes, at random times) the volume automatically goes to 100% (yes, overdriving the speaker in the process) I have no control over the volume on the stupid amp, only through the volume on my bass. I just got back from playing a benefit dinner, and it did it again. here we go from quiet christmas background music, to Rage against the machine full on distortion, RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SONG!!!! :mad: I think i am going to throw my stupid BX1200 into the river. The only thing stopping me though is the fact that it is my only amp, and i have my money tied up in other ways (christmas you know). Yes i'd say the biggest mistake of my bass playing life was getting that stupid behringer. Sure the SWR only had 60 watts, but at least it was reliable. I can't understand how some people think Behringer is a worthwhile investment. To you I say just wait. It will break. So let that be a lesson to everyone else out there in talkbass be warned. Behringer amps are not good. yes, it is now officially for sale. I think i'd rather play in my jazz band with my guitar amp. Heck maybe i'll borrow my friend's upright bass instead until I can afford an SWR or ampeg.
    Charlie
    by the way, sorry if anyone finds this offending, but I am really mad right now.

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Seriously dude, don't get the SWR LA combos, they suck. I'd get an Ampeg combo, as they are all sweet, or an Ashdown Electric blue.

[​IMG]

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    hehehe....gonna try the Darth pic again Ox? you better hope all the mods are sleeping.

you know, the pics are kinda mean, but they crack me up.

-Mike

4. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    So OX.........Whos floor, Patio,or Deck did you mess up to get those really great shots?? (I am guessing Mom and Dads?) And anyone who buys "Behringer"should know it is a very temporary solution and should never be seen as a serious contender. Ya get what ya pay for, and often ya gotta pay way more than it is worth to get what ya need!.....................BUT IT'S WORTH IT IN THE END!!!!!!

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD

You mean that got deleted before?!?!? :eek: :bawl: :bawl:

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I didn't take the pics, EmbodyTheJotun from HCBF took them.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Ox....I don't think it was deleted, but you were kindly reminded by a mod that maybe you should refrain from posts like that one in the future. :)

-Mike

8. oh... my.. god... ox, you are now my hero.

9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Oh, I never saw that. :meh:

Good, now write that review slave! :mad: *whips with horse whip*

:D ;)

10. Have you taken it in to the shop to get looked at? Could it just be a defective unit? Did you get it new? If so, is it still on warranty?

Geoff

11. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I must be one of the lucky ones. I have been using a Behringer BX300 for about 8 months with no problems. It's a practice amp that I actually did a very small gig with.

My guitarist has been using a V amp 4-5 nights a week plugged into a Soldano head for the past two years with no problems.

YMMV

12. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Granting that this was about as bad a failure as anyone could experience, aren't you going just a wee bit overboard by condemning ALL Behringer products on the basis of a problem with one unit?

Any electronic device can experience a failure, and frequently it will be due to a part failure and have little or nothing to do with the care, diligence and quality control of the manufacturer. Crown, Ampeg, Euphonic . . . even (gasp) Walter Wood electronics have all broken down. Doesn't make them ALL bad.

Perspective, always have perspective . . . .

13. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=1246210#post1246210
    ;)

But i have to agree with you on this one Ox, behringer make alot of music equipment, but IMO they sacrifice quality for quantity. the only thing i would use by behringer are they're headphones. anyway, i hope you figure something out asap ;)

14. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I feel your frustration. :bawl:
    My dad who was a machinest explained it to me when I was a youngster, buy a cheap tool, what do you have? Buy the best tool and you will have it a lifetime. Its a theory that has proved itself many times the last 40+ years I've been buying and selling music gear.

15. atf487

atf487

Nov 25, 2003
    Millis, MA
    I hear most Behringer stuff is alright, but their combos are ****. So keep that in mind..

16. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Stick around these boards long enough and you'll see every single brand, be it low-end or high-end, slagged for poor quality. We're not talking a chisel or a hammer here but a complex combination of many parts where the failure of one dinky wire can turn a $1500, or $300, amp into a pile of cr@p instantly.

If it's under warranty, great, get it fixed. If not, take it to a tech, it may just be a bad pot.

17. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    The Darth Vader pic just kills man...awesome.

18. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Sure any amp has the possibility of a problem. My experience has showed that the better equipment/basses/amps/mics/etc I have acquired, proved to be near bulletproof. But when one of them has a problem, its the service after the problem occurs that is important. Part of the expense of a quality amp is the cost to provide a good warranty, for a set amount of time, with the convenience of local authorized repair stations, and quick turnaround time. These are questions that should be asked before purchasing any amp. I will say all my amps were assembled right here in the good old USA where living wages were paid to the factory workers. :D

19. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    See threads regarding customer service woes with: Eden, Ampeg, SWR, Aguilar, etc, etc. Higher prices only imply better service and quality nothing more.

BTW, just becasue something is made in the USA doesn't mean the workers are getting paid equitably, quality is superior or that it is better for the US economy at large. MCWade Pipe...

20. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Well, its for darn sure they were not paid 10 cents an hour (or is it day) to assemble the product as is true for Behringer (made in China). And here they don't live in a barracks/prison above the factory either.

Can't comment on the economy, but I don't see how it's improved by firing everyone here and shipping the factory to china........

BTW, the head guy at Behringer, Uli Behringer, apparently moved to Hong Kong to avoid paying German taxes, or so I am told by folks who have dealt direct with him......sounds like a concerned and quality-minded dude........