Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i have lost all faith in modern science: "drumming makes you smarter"

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slick519, Jan 25, 2005.

1. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    http://www.komotv.com/stories/34948.htm

and

wait... i just saw some amazing pictures from titan. no, wait... all respect for science gone.

:crying: :p
    slick

2. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I love my drummer.

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yes, well, there are two levels to this message, right?

The first level is: drums is better than nothing at all. When it comes to music, "any" musical exposure will tend to expand one's brain and make it more lively. My guess is the same thing could be said for playing any other instrument too. I would be very surprised to see any negative effects across the spectrum of musical instruments.

The second level is: I'd be very interested in seeing the detailed results of "comparative" studies, relative to other instruments. For instance, is the cello "too complicated" to generate the well-being effects in cancer patients? Does it take the mind far enough away from the tomfoolery of beating on skins? Does it contribute a negative "component" that subtracts away from the overal positive effect on well-being? :D

4. "There's been specific research done by Doctor Barry Bittman who's seen actually cellular improvement in cancer patients who consistently play drums," Levine says.

Wow. Seen actually?

Anyway, that a scientist says this doesn't mean that it's logical to assume the drumming had anything to do w/ it. Don't let this silly article ruin science for you.

5. BMGecko

BMGecko

Sep 5, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    What's the joke...

What did the drummer get on his IQ test?
    Drool.

6. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Maybe the reason drummers are so inept is because they're still in the pupae stage; they haven't yet reaped the benefits of their profession. But they try, oh how they try.

Go, drum away little one! We're all behind you! No! NO! St-stop that! NO! Don't eat those! No! Not potato sticks! Drum, see, drum! Boom bam bap...GAH!

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    That story came from my local news station.....cool!!

My son plays drums. I took my son to that event last year, and he was able to participate. We'll be going again this year.

-Mike

8. He hates me, but I love him. :smug:

9. Actually I don't find this astonishing at all... the main reason that playing an instrument boosts the iq is that we are forced to do multiple things at once and drummers tend to be very good at that. of course, instruments that have pitch (both harmony and melody instruments) will activate other areas of the brain as well, so i guess the ideal instrument to get smarter (stimulate your brain) should be piano.

10. exactly what i was thinking...after i attempt the drums, i pull the monty python "My brain hurts!" i've got 4 limbs all doing different things, and that still takes talent.

11. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Something I recently read indicated that any type of music-playing is beneficial to brain function. The article even stated that just listening to music has positive effects.

Did you ever hear about people listening to Mozart prior to exams etc. to stimulate the cognitive functions.

I think it has to do with all the facets of playing music which include rhythmic integration, eye-hand coordination, active listening, reading notes, pushing / pulling the tempo, knowing where "the groove" is, soloing etc.

All these things are asking the brain to perform multiple functions at the same time. A good ol' brain-pan workout.

It's interesting that a drum machine can play in perfect metronomic time, but doesn't know where the pocket is with the rest of the musicians and it can't push and pull the beat and vary swing and tempo in gradual ways according to what it hears so as to affect "the feel" of the song.

We may have super powerful computers to churn through lots of calculations and giga-flops but ask one to perform the many calculations necessary to run out and catch a football (acceleration, trajectory, velocity. angle of descent, surface conditions, wind speed etc.) and it can't do it.

Keep your brain in shape and those neurons firing.

12. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    This study over drummer should be corrected without John Bonham answers.

13. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Drumming makes you smarter, eh?

How come the ONLY instrument I see LD kids play,,, is some sort of percussion. Just an observation.

14. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    LD? :confused:

15. Well that explains Neil Peart's genius.

16. Now if they had Bob Barefoot saying it I would believe them. That' guy is a real scientist. "We're oxygen criitters."

"Didn't you just say we were calcium critters?"

"...uhh.'

17. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    LD = Learning Disabled.

18. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    The LD kids that were in my high school orchestra played french horn, trombone, flute... no percussionists

19. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Pete in the movie american pie 2 actually plays the trumpet.