Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I have MEC 9's, are those good? Do I need to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by stop_drop_pop33, Aug 18, 2002.

1. stop_drop_pop33

stop_drop_pop33 Guest

Aug 15, 2002
    under your bed
    i play heavy stuff, should i upgrade my MEC 9 volt PUPS to something else? i have a warwick thumb bolt on.

2. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I vote yes. I just got home from practice - the first one since I replaced my the MECs in my Thumb with Bartolini PUPs. It TOTALLY ROCKED. I also got the Bart TBT pre-amp with an adjustable trim pot. The Preamp, as originally set, was somewhat weaker sounding, but turn up the output of the pre-amp and it snarls like crazy. The Bart PUPs are much warmer - you can boost the low end without the "boominess" of the MECs. They also have much more contained and smoother sounding highs. I found the MECs high end to be extremely harsh.

The Bart pre-amp is also less noisy.

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Do you have a problem with them?

I think that MEC pups are ok, but would go for EMG if I were to change em.

Peace
    Nick

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I changed mine because the system was unreliable and a thousand people saw it cut out. After MAD finally got me a £20 pound pot the pan pot buzzed. I ripped the lot out and fitted the Alembic PVF system myself.