1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I have MEC 9's, are those good? Do I need to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by stop_drop_pop33, Aug 18, 2002.

1. stop_drop_pop33

stop_drop_pop33 Guest

Aug 15, 2002
    under your bed
    i play heavy stuff, should i upgrade my MEC 9 volt PUPS to something else? i have a warwick thumb bolt on.

2. Alexander

Alexander Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I vote yes. I just got home from practice - the first one since I replaced my the MECs in my Thumb with Bartolini PUPs. It TOTALLY ROCKED. I also got the Bart TBT pre-amp with an adjustable trim pot. The Preamp, as originally set, was somewhat weaker sounding, but turn up the output of the pre-amp and it snarls like crazy. The Bart PUPs are much warmer - you can boost the low end without the "boominess" of the MECs. They also have much more contained and smoother sounding highs. I found the MECs high end to be extremely harsh.

The Bart pre-amp is also less noisy.

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Do you have a problem with them?

I think that MEC pups are ok, but would go for EMG if I were to change em.

Peace
    Nick

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I changed mine because the system was unreliable and a thousand people saw it cut out. After MAD finally got me a £20 pound pot the pan pot buzzed. I ripped the lot out and fitted the Alembic PVF system myself.