1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I have my new ''small'' head, now need new small cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by yamaha, Feb 22, 2008.

1. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Got to try a LM2 again today. Going to buy it next week for certain, unless I can find a place to try out a shuttle, then maybee a toss, but one of those 2 for sure.

As for cabs, man, I'm confusing myself. I want rather small, rather light, full sounding, and loud enough for small rock gigs.

I will start with one cab, and eventually buy a second.

So UL1 ou UL2, 110 or 112,
    HS, EX, HT or AE
    Markbass, or Eden
    Wizzy or GS112
    Even considering EBS Neo 110-112

HELP

2. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    Find a used Ampeg Porta bass cab! Hard to find but worth it.

3. Honest truth here....

I am currently considering whether or not to trade my Ampeg gear on a new Markbass rig (a 1X15 and a 4X10) and run them off the LMII, or to just keep the "big rig" and "go for it" and buy the new MB stuff outright..

Hard decision, but I am an absolute believer in Markbass stuff! It took a while for this "old guy" to come to that decision (LIGHTWEIGHT bass equipment?? You gotta be Kidding!..it's a toy, right!?!?! ) But once learned, never forgotten!

Good luck with your decision!

4. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    From what i have read the LM amps are great. I would not hesitate to get an 8-ohm Avatar 112. Light,tight, punchy, good volume, easy portability, good bang for your buck. I have owned 6 avatar cabs and loved them all. I strongly suggest LineX covering, then order a custom padded cover. Mine have been gigged alot, and look like the day I pulled them out of the box. We all know what rat fur becomes. I will never own a carpeted cab again.

5. mrniceguy715

mrniceguy715

May 2, 2006
    oklahoma
    I dig the acme lowb's with a lil mark

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Just my opinion.
    familyphoto2008.
    Tons of beefy low end and plenty loud.
    Fit's easily in my ford focus hatchback with room left over to bring the wife to the gig.:cool:

7. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    Very Nice!

8. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Yes, the GS112 and GS112NT does look like a nice rig, and on the lower end of the $ column. Although all cabs I'm considering are between 400$-700$, and I can fit them in my budget. Very worthy of consideration, thanks.

Keep em comming. Experiences, opinions, and suggestions

9. Cool thread...I'm starting to think that I myself would't mind a little head.

10. (ahem)...

Bass Player Mag March 2002 tested 10 "1x12" cabinets. Maybe the article is online somewhere.

Aguilar, Ashdown, Bag End, Bargantino, Eden, Epifani, Euphonic, Flite Sound, Genz Benz, Nemesis.

I personally heard the new Genz 212 and was very impressed, I'd imagine the 112 would be worth a listen.

11. fretster

fretster Advanced Beginner Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2005
    Moraga, California
    There's only about 300 cabs you should really consider. :p

Names of cabs that appear over and over in TB, from people passionate about bass: DrBass, Avatar, AccuGroove, Aguilar, EA, Epifani, Bergantino, Schroeder, BagEnd, GenzBenz, GK. Oh right, Ampeg. And Mesa.

Look for the "shootout" reviews by Tom Bowlus. He stacks up a dozen of one size cab, like 20 1x12's, and compares them. Search on any/all of the names just listed. And of course add all the names following this post, of the form How Could You Not Mention Brand X?

After a marathon reading session, you will be ready to go.

12. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    img_0004.

13. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Your description matches an Epifani UL112 to the letter. Its a very full sounding 112. I was actually surprised the first time I played thru it. I've never heard a 112 sound as full as this does. Its also light @ 30LBs. If you have PA support it'll give you all the stage volume you need (if your band plays at reasonable vol levels). It can easily handle a small 100 person venue on its own.

I just ordered a UL110 to add to my UL112. That stack will be 52LBS. I've found that cab stacking is critical to being able to hear yourself... get a driver closer to your ears and naturally, you'll be able to hear it better. A small cab firing past your ankles does not make for easily heard bass IMO.

I tried my UL112 with my schroe 1212R stacked run with my carvin bx1200 at a gig I just got home from. All I can say is whoa! Cab stacking will always be my first choice from now on!

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    the bagend S12 was the best sounding cab I've recorded with. Soloed or stacked on an S15 it worked fine indoors and out doing Rock and Blues

15. Berg AE or HT112ER I reckon. The berg/LMII pairing has some serious mojo!

16. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Sounds like you have some shopping to do! :D
    My rig was only one suggestion of course. Let us know what you end up going with and of course pictures are mandatory;)

17. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Right now im kinda going in this direction :

1st contender HT112 on special, non ER
    2nd contender HT112 ER, or more probable, AE112
    3rd contender UL2-112

But, mind not set, TBers have a tendency to make great suggestions and influence my choices.

18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Though I have not tried the AE112 (yet) from what I do know of it and expect out of it, I would make a serious effort to audition one. The same goes for the Genz-Benz NeoX112T. Those are two cabs that I have high hopes for.

Of the cabs I already know pretty well, the Glockenklang Space Deluxe certainly comes to mind, as does the HT112, UL-112, EBS Neo112, M-line Wizzy and Wizzy 10. Lots of great choices, and really, your personal preference will be your ultimate guide.

Tom.

19. vcs700s

vcs700s

Nov 17, 2006
    Stephenson, VA
    I have the LMK 2 and a WTX-260. My cabs are Eden CX110's.

Both heads sound incredible through just one of the CX110's. Stack them up and stand back!

I highly recommend these cabs as they have great tone and only weigh around 25lbs. each.:hyper: