1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I have never understood the big deal about a "tuner out"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skel, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Being an ex-guitar player and getting to know a whole bunch of bass amps the last few years, I am surprised when I see a "tuner out" on a bass amp. I must be weird, but I only need to tune my bass one time, and I barely need an electronic tuner. Maybe slapping, which is something I don't do at all, makes basses go out of tune or something? And the amps that *do* need a tuner out....guitar amps, is something I've never seen.

Skel

2. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    i don't use mine too much, but it is an option that i feel i must have- i just don't like anthing unnecessary in the signal path. it was ALOT faster to quickly mute and tune for some of the strange tunings we used to use.

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The tuner out allows you to connect the tuner without putting it in the signal path.

When I use a gig bag the tuners can get knocked out of wack. I tune up before the gig but the strings need to settle. So I will check my tuning from time to time.

Also useful when going to/from drop D.

4. I love the tuner out option. I retune live for a number of songs so I need it on stage every night and I hate having pretty much anything in the signal path - it's a must have for me.

5. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Now I see. I didn't think about drop D tuning (I don't even know what that is!).

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Drop D is where you drop the E string to D but leave all the other strings at standard pitch. Pink Floyd, for example, did it a lot.

7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I couldnt live without a tuner out.

Rob

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I don't use mine a lot lately, but I have from time to time. I like using my food pedal tuner better, because it has a mute built in. Though, I don't like it's switching. It's a bit noisy. That's why the tuner out is a must most times.

9. duke2004

duke2004

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    temperature changes onstage (like when the club gets cooking and they decide to finally turn on the air conditioner duct right above your bass stack) often cause me to need to tune before a set. tuner out=good thing

10. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I agree with all the responses so far. I love my tuner out.

11. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Wow! Strong words. I just had an image of Rob falling stone dead when somebody confiscated his tuner out input!

12. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

LOL. Too funny.

Rob

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I tune my bass at least between every set. Having that DTR-1 right there in the rack makes it quick and easy. A lot of kids think that a bass ought to stay in tune for at least a month between tunings, but they forget that temperature and humidity changes during a gig will throw them out of tune. Every time I play my bass, the amp volume doesn't go up until the bass has been tuned.

14. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    you guys mention environmental changes affecting tuning, which is true. but so does aggressive playing. the tension on the strings causes the strings to go slightly out of tune after a while.

its a bit of a hassle having to unplug your bass from the amp and plug it into a tuner then plug it into the amp again. you can just have a tuner out and mute the amp, switch on the tuner, tune and go back to playing.

15. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Dont forget some tuners can degrade the signal or add noise, using the tuner out means it doesnt effect your final sound and so isnt a problem wether its true bypass or not
    Plus (for me anyway) i can have the tuner sitting on top of the rig where i can see it without having my signal leads going up the top of the amp before the input. my tuner out is round the back so its all neatly kept out of the way.

16. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I never use it. Unless your amp has a mute while you tune it's useless. I don't want to listen to you tune. Hopefully you turn the volume down, but that's kind of a pain, to. I use a TU-2. Tap to mute and tune or switch basses. Simple.

17. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    wouldn't own a bass amp without it!! Must have item if you play fretless on a regularly. Temp changes can really affect you intonation on a fretless

18. my eden 800 has a tuner out but i dont use it because the amp doesnt have a mute for tuning

I hate listening to people tune

19. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    I love how my DB680 has a tuner out and a mute footswitch. I can hit mute and tune during the show, during songs, whenever. Very handy for when you hear a string that's off a little bit in the middle of something.

20. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    One of the reasons i got a ABM head was that it had a mute button. found out after i got it that it doesnt mute, just pads the signal but you can still hear it on stage. spoke to Ashdown and they said this is what it suposed to do but they advertise it as "mute button, tune up in silence"
    Wasnt happy about that one.