1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I have never wanted a P or J bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by coyote1, Mar 20, 2013.

1. coyote1

coyote1

Mar 23, 2012
    I know they are good instruments. Yet somehow, while I looove playing Stratocasters and own two, I've never had a desire to own a Fender bass.

It has just always seemed to me that a bass ought not be a Fender.... or a Gibson for that matter. Can't explain that conceptualization, but there it is anyway.

2. macrocheesium

macrocheesium

Sep 12, 2012
    I'm with you there... I don't think there is any reason that they ought not to make basses, but I've just never wanted one. Though even that seems like blasphemy around here. :bag:

3. Thine shall be SMITED!!!!!!!

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I have notified the moderators of your sacrilege post.... Thou shall be banished before Duck Dynasty airs this eve.:p

Dissing Fender on TB! Well, I never!

5. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I have never thought Ford or Chevrolet should make cars.

6. You guys have played Fender basses, right..? :eyebrow:

7. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I have never wanted to eat sushi. I know it's supposed to be very good. Yet somehow, while I looove eating broiled halibut, I've never had a desire to eat sushi.

It has just always seemed to me that fish ought not to be raw....or undercooked for that matter. Can't explain that conceptualization, but there it is anyway.

8. Yup, many times. I just flat don't care for them.

9. WallyN

WallyN

Jan 11, 2013
    When I was younger, I thought that Fender's were boring and bland. Never thought I would be interested in owning one. Nothing against the quality, but I also never liked wine when I was younger.

Now I love red wine and LOVE my Fender P

10. macrocheesium

macrocheesium

Sep 12, 2012
    Several. I can't stand the necks for some reason. I guess they just don't fit my grip well.

11. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    Gibsons should never be basses, agreed.

But diss Fender!?? Though shalt go to a dark place!!! >=O

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    More for the rest of us. Fine by me.

13. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    Uh... It's kinda hard to comment on this. Fender bass guitar design has inspired pretty much every single bass on market today. That is, to say, without fender bass design, you wouldn't have basses you like (be it yamaha, ibanez, etc). However, I see your point, I have played several fenders and have always found to prefer different brands in the same range more, it probably has to do with my preferance of the 'modern' tone and 'developed' design as opposed to the vintage design and tone. For example, I like active soapbar pickups, 24 fret graphite necks, body with a deep cut and a neck through design with a very thin laminated neck plus no pickguard. So this means my 'perfect' bass would never come even close to a fender, really, I lean to the BTB line of Ibanez way more.

So I really see where you are coming from, if fender basses suddenly went out of production I'd have no qualms about it, the greatest selling point for fenders is really the history it has created by the original design, as well as 'our ears are so used to P and jazz LOL!' syndrome, fender does not make the 'best' bass guitars anymore, but do they make the two most recorded and recognizable designs and sounds in history of recorded music? You bet! That's where their greatness lies.

14. Not yet

Not yet

Mar 26, 2012
    But if my grandmother was a schoolbus...

15. Wil_Couch

Wil_Couch

Mar 12, 2013
    Agreed. I've never been all that interested in Fender basses. The bodies always seemed a bit too big too me, and the necks a bit too thin.

16. Fender doesn't make sixers...

So that puts them out of the running for me, but even if they did (don't point to the custom shop...) I don't like the sound that I personally get from them...

(I also think that most times, no matter who's playing, another type of bass will sound better.)

17. coyote1

coyote1

Mar 23, 2012
    It's not even that. The bassist in my band plays Jazz basses, and sounds great doing it. It's just that somehow, every time I'm in a store checking out basses, it is never a Fender.

18. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    Many people don't try fenders because they are too classic. See, some like them because they are classic, others want something more exotic, as simple as that.

19. Wil_Couch

Wil_Couch

Mar 12, 2013
    To me Fender = Ford. Everyone has one. They all look the same, sound the same, perform the same. Nothing wrong with that... Consistency is a good thing.

I'd rather drive a Morgan, though.

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Oh, no.