1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I have no basses :(

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Well...my only bass while I'm at school is in the shop getting a major set up.

I have a ton of work to do that I need a bass for.
    This sucks :(

You never realize how much bass is a part of your life until you can't play one!

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I know what you mean! I recently couldn't play bass for three days because the room where I keep my amp was so stuffed full of junk from a room I'm redecorating that I couldn't get my bass in there and find a place to play! It was a pickle and a half, thats for sure!

3. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Mines an hour away getting a set up and will take about a week!!! :crying:

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars

Isn't there someone at school who could lend you one???

I know when I was undergrad, I always knew everyone in my dorm with instruments.

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Time to learn to play the air guitar! (or bass).

6. -Sam-

-Sam-

Oct 5, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Find an empty tissue box and but four rubber bands over the hole and play away. Perfect!!!
    Or start learning drums and just start hitting things!!

I think i would go crazy

EDIT: Re reading that post i think i already am!

7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

One thing that might help is just to listen to a lot of music in the interim. Sometimes I get so focused on playing that I neglect to TRULY listen.

Sorry about your situation though. My #1 is also in the shop, but I've got others to choose from, so it's not killing me. :meh:

8. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    You never realize how much bass is part of your life until your hand swells up like a balloon every time you play and you have to stop for seven years. And then you get a new bass and suddenly your hand doesn't swell up anymore. :)

When I only had one bass I made the mistake of taking it apart to refinish it. Dumb. I ended up ruining the finish because I was so impatient to have my bass back.

9. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    I do know the guys here with instruments. Sadly I don't talk to many.
    Aaron Saunders is on the same floor as I am. he plays mostly upright, so if i'm lucky maybe he'll let me borrow his Yamaha.

10. oldrocker

oldrocker Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Just another example of why everyone needs more than 1 bass :bassist:

11. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    I do! I have two!
    I have a trusty Squier P. but, my brother is starting to play bass more, so I thought i'd be a good brother and leave it back home in the falls for him to use.

DAMN YOU KARMA!

12. Attaboy. Spread the bass around, and be a good influence on the guy. The world can always use another bassist. Kind of sucks for you, though.

13. clavefa

clavefa Te Traigo El Tumbao

+1 Mark. I did'nt have one at home to play for almost 3 months. I did go to my local music stores on the weekends just to be able t play. Until I finally was able to buy a used OLP MM2( with a Basslines installed:D ). Anyway It was a torture.

14. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    time to visit your local music stores and play a variety ... if you find a real good deal on a killer bass, it was worth it ... if you find you are disguated with everything that you have had in your hands ... you will be VERY glad to get your baby back .. but either way, you will wiser from it ...

15. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Too true. When I was spending a lot of time designing amps, testing and listening critically my brother came around one day and asked when the last time I'd just listened for pleasure was. I wired in my reference SS amp, bought a secondhand CD changer and ran discs non stop for several weeks and tried not to think about anything technical. Refreshed my mind and made the music more 'fun' again.

Hope your Steinie's not ill.

16. I hear you... I have to travel away alot with my work. Sometimes If I know im going direct to a Motel, I will take my bass and a headphone setup, but if i may have to work a bit first, then I leave it behind. No way im leaving my pride and joy waiting in the car!! So...Sometimes I go for a week with no bass. It really hurts. :bawl:

17. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    I had to move back to Sydney from up near you to do the work I wanted to do and haven't been able to get back for months. Now that hurts.

18. Which is why lending/borrowing basses is not a good idea. Other than the fact that if your A broke you won't have B, but also, if the borrower broke you B, what would you do?
    Of course if you lend a bass to someone, that someone must be your friend, and if your friend damages your bass, what would you do? I wouldn't know what to do...
    I'd suggesting playing some other kind of instrument for a while, such as piano/keyboard. As long as you get to keep those fingers in shape :p

19. Which part hurts the most, not having your bass or moving from the North Coast down to Sydney?? :ninja:

I just recently moved from Sydney to here :)

20. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    I have plenty of basses, but I miss the North Coast, really bad.
    Making plans to move back up in a year or so and build guitar amps again.