Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I have no idea about AMPS... help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sojhen, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Alright... I've never been able to even afford an amp. First of all I have no idea on what component's I need. What they are called, what brands are best. I'm a fairly new bass player 1-2 years messing around. I was just wondering if some of you would be able to explain the whole set up. Cabnets, etc. I really need help in this department. And I'm hoping I can get some indepth explanations.
    Hopefully questions like this have'nt been asked to the point where none of you will respond. Thanks alot for your time.......

:bassist:

2. xax712

xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    Ok I assume you are talking about putting a rig together. All amps combos included consist of 3 major parts.
    Preamp
    Amp
    Speakers (cabinet)
    The Preamp reads the signal from your bass and processes it and pushes it along to the Amp which gives it wattage which inturn is used to power the speakers and make sound (in layman's terms of course).
    Now the most common set ups for new bassists are combo's. These have all 3 parts combined into one and are nice and compact but not really versatilefor change. Everything has its drawbacks. The nice part is the weight and there are definately some good combo amps out there, but plan on shelling out the cash. The next choice is getting a head and a cabinet. The head is a combination of preamp and amp into one and then a separate speaker cabinet. This is more versatile and has many ups, but can be rather expensive for really nice stuff (ok everything can be really expensive). Then you can rack a power amp and preamp as two separate units and then go into a speaker cabinet. Since you are new and don't know much about this stuff might I recommend a combo amp for convenience. There are some nice ones out there at decent prices like a Gallien-Kruger, swr workingman, Eden nemesis, or a used amp of anysort. These are imo the best for new people.

Just my 2 cents,
    Brad

3. After looking through some of the threads I've noticed quite a bit of people saying the word Eden alot.. I'm assuming that that is one of the best amps/preamp, etc. you can buy.... Hmmm... I am fairly new at Bass but I am planning to stick with it for the rest of my life... Earlier on I had just a small Peavy amp.. (Real small) It was good for practice though... So, what would you guys recommend for a fairly new bass player that wants to be able to use it at gigs and still have some stage power..I've noticed that this is all very pricey.. But hell I've seen what drummer's have to pay for all the parts to their drumsets so I'm not really complaining... I was asking someone a while back about if there is any kind of distortion for Bass and they said that the best thing I could get would be an Overdrive..
    :( I don't really know what that is but I'm guessing that it would make the bass louder or something along those lines... Thanks alot for your time hopefully more of you will help teach me so that maybe one day I can be as good as you all.. Thanks again...:bassist:

4. Eden is good but there are many other brands that are good as well. The best thing you can do is go around to music stores and play through all the amps you can. Decideing on an amp is extremely personal. I have read for quite some time frm Munji on here saying Eden Amps and 10" speakers nothng else will compare. Well for him it wont. I use a Hartke with 2 15" speakers and nothing else will compare to me. I tried Eden when I started because of Hearing Eden on here all the time but to my ears they sounded like ass. SO go to your stores and anyone you know who has an amp and take your bass and see what you like.

5. Any brands that are known for high quality..? I want to buy something which will last a long time. :bassist:

6. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Why not pick up a good combo amp until you've had time to try different setups out? The SWR, Eden, and Ampeg combos are all good quality and will tie you over until you know more about what you are looking for.

7. Thanks alot guys for your input it's very much appreciated. Thanks again.

8. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    distortion and overdrive are almost the same thing. Overdrive is a particular type of distorted sound. Overdrive is called such because it attempts to duplicate the sound of an overdriven speaker cabinet. Think of speakers rated to take a max of 500 watts and you run 'em off of a 1000 amp and turn up untill the speakers start to distort. Then do this: :bassist:

:rolleyes:

:p

...or something like that

9. So, when buying Overdrive it would be almost like buying distortion for the electric. Would any of you happen to know good brand names for Overdrives..? I feel so fresh when it comes to bass I know nothing really... That's why I am really glad I found this place and that you guys are so friendly. Thanks :bassist:

10. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I use a boss ODB3 - it's not a bad overdrive and pretty reasonably priced. I would suggest you try the search function (keyword = overdrive) and if you don't find all your answers then post a question over in the effects forum.

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Mmm no, overdriven amp.

12. Can you explain a little geshel?? What do you mean exactly when you say no...? :bassist:

13. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I mean the term "overdrive" is used to describe the sound of an overdriven amplifier stage (tube, usually). Usually in the early stages of distortion. Whereas "distortion" typically means more full-out distortion.

It could be that designers of overdrive/dist effects also try to mimic the results of overdriven speakers, but I've never heard one say so. "Overdrive" is definitely an amp thing though, hence the fact that much of the time it's labeled "tube overdrive" or "tube drive" or just "drive" on pedal/effects/amp controls.

For bass, a little overdrive can sound very good and many people like that tone. Even a bit more can still sound like "bass". Go in to "distortion" territory though, and typically you lose the low-end (or at least any definition in the low end) and it sounds like an overgrown guitar. Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

14. I would really like to get one of those.... :D
    Overdrive .. has a nice ring to it don't you think.. ha,ha,ha~!

15. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Haha...well geshel, I appriciate the way you left the door open to the possabilty that I might be right - but of course I really was not.
    I just wanted to clear that up for this guy. I was speaking beyond the level of my actual knowledge - I just wanted to give the guy some idea of what OD was (in the original post he thought it was some type of volume pedle) But listen to geshel for a much more accurate description of overdrive and don't forget to visit the effects forum to learn more.

16. I did'nt think it was an effects peddle... I had NO clue what the hell it was... lol....:bawl: