I have no living grandparents...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Jan 5, 2006.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    This past Tuesday, at 6:45PM, my 93 year old grandfather lost his battle against pneumonia. He had Alzheimers, which did not help the situation. He lived for nine days with the pneumonia. The nursing staff called us last Sunday to say he would not live to see Monday morning. We were all quite surprised to see him fight on for another eight days.

With his passing, I now have zero living grandparents. My dad's dad died when I was four. My dad's mom died when I was 30. My mom's mom died last year, and now her dad.

Having no living grandparents really sucks. :mad: :bawl:

2. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Sorry to hear about your loss.

I don't have any grandparents left either. I do have lots of new youngsters in my family though, and that rocks.

The cycle of life dude. Death and taxes. Nothing you can do.
  3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Mike, dude, I'm really sorry to hear about your loss.

I've got one remaining grandparent (father's mom), and one remaining parent (dad).

Y'all cherish your elders while they're here, because you can't let 'em know you love 'em when they're not anymore.

4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    My sympathies Mike... I too no longer have any grandparents..

5. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!

Except I have no parents, or grandparents.
  6. Sorry to hear about your loss, Mike. My condolences.
  7. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    My condolences man, I really miss my grandfathers...I feel that I haven't had the chance to know them, and that there was so much I could have learned from them.
  8. Sorry about your loss Mike. One thing I always think about when I hear of someone that old passing away is all the amazing things and technological advances that have happened during their lifetime - electricity, running water, automobiles, television, telephones, computers, the internet, electric bass guitars! All things that we take for granted. Sure there have been significant advances and will be more in our lifetimes, but I don't think anything with quite the impact as electricity and all the things it brought with it.

I'm very lucky in that I still have 3 grandparents left, but I imagine I may be a bit younger than you. My 1 remaining grandfathers birthday is today - he's 85. I sure hope he lives until he's at least 93!

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Grandparents are special people. I am sorry for your loss Mike.
  10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, me too. I used to talk to my grandpa all the time about that kind of stuff. He was a carpenter back in the 40's, 50's and 60's. He would travel with my grandma, my mom, and my aunts around the Midwest and South building homes and then selling them. When I got into drywall, he and I would exchange stories for hours.

One thing I always remember, and brings a tear to me eye as I am relating it now.....we have a large corner of our property where I park my truck, and my parents park their fifth wheel. My grandpa would come over and tell me how it was such a waste of space using it for parking. He would always tell me to bring home spare lumber and building materials from jobsites, and he would build me a small house there that we could rent out or he could live in. He was totally serious. He was 89 or 90 then. In reality, the area is big enough to build nothing more than a 40x40 shed, but he always thought it was perfect for a house. One of the last times he came to our house, he was outside measuring off the area and trying to get an idea how to position the foundation. In his honor, I do plan to build a work shop there soon. It will be called Joe's Place. My grandpa's name is Joe. :D

11. "Joes Place". Very cool.

The day before one of my grandfathers died of a heart attack he was putting a new roof on his house!!
  12. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Sorry to hear of your loss Mike. I myself have had only one Grandmother my entire life; both my Dad's parents passed when he was 21 and my Mom's Dad died a couple years before I was born. My only remaining Grandma has stage 2 Parkinson's, and Dementia, so I'm not sure how much longer she'll be with us. :(
    Remember the times you spent with your Grandpop and smile. :)

13. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    The only grandparent I ever knew died when I was eight. The other three were dead long before I was born, tragic circumstances and young deaths for all of them.

For my entire life, though, two people were "grandparents" to me. My dad's first fiance's parents stayed in my dad's life, after she died. They treated me as their own flesh and blood when I was born. My "Grandfather" was a man I look up to to this day. He was, in my eyes, the best man I'd ever met. He passed a few years ago. It was definitely hard on all of us. His wife, now 83 years old, is more active than many 60-somethings I know. She lives entirely on her own, shops, cooks, goes out and plays cards, etc. every day. No health problems, still drives, etc. She's an amazing woman, and hopefully, she'll be around a long time.

My condolences for your loss.
  14. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    My condolences, Mike. Take care of yourself and your family.
  15. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
  16. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    I dont have any grandparents either but there not dead. My moms mom is a coniving backstabbing old witch and her dad died before I was born. My dad lies to his parents about me and my family so they dont talk to us anymore.
    Its a real shame I guess.
  17. plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    The cycle of life dude. and taxes. Nothing you can do.[/QUOTE]

well i say the cycle of life sucks. i dont handle well. mike, im very sorry for your loss.
  18. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My last grandparent is declining in health rapidly and we're counting the weeks..

Be thankful your family stayed around for as long as they did. My grandmas not even that old.
  19. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

My mom's mom died almost 12 years ago. Her husband (my grandpa) died exactly two months later after 81 years of enjoying an enviable health. That was a devastating shock. I know how is it. I'm with you, Mike.
  20. You and me both.

Sorry for your loss, Mike.