I have NO technique....

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by frost13, Aug 10, 2000.

1. frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    I tend to use whatever I need at the moment. Sometimes it is one finger...other times three...and even my fingernail as a pick on occasion. I though this was odd...and even poor playing (even though it got the job done) until I heard Chris Squire describe HIS technique in the same way.
    Anyway....it works for me, so I will continue to do so. I will even go on using my thumb once in a while....:)
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i know what you are saying, i am sorta the same way.

i like to think of it as Jeet Kun Do Bass Technique. :D
  3. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    sounds like great technique to me. do whatever works best for the situation. the key is to never limit yourself. go for it frost13!
  4. Scottzo

Jan 20, 2000
    It's pretty hard to break from something you've always done. I suggest if someday you have a teacher telling you how off from the "PROPER WAY" of fingering you are you kick his teeth out and say "I aint changing..got that?!?"...well maybe don't kick him the face....but if it aint broke don't fix it. I think if you are playing solid then you should continue to do what works.
  5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Im between you and Ed. Im going to say do what is comfortable...but be consistent in how you do it, because even Jeet Kun Do has many consistencies! (Hey, i studied it for a while! Its just theres no consistent stances). Just have each technique you use be consistent, like, the way you pluck with that one finger, so youll be able to switch between techniques quickly, if need be. Otherwise, you could get confused, and mess up! Thats all. But i think its really cool you have multiple ways of playing! Thats great!
  6. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    i agree that each player has to determine what works best, but i absolutely hate the word "comfort." if you feel comfort with something does NOT mean that its the best way, even for your own style of playing. the act of striving for what you can't do yet is "uncomfortable."

Comfort means that you're ready to do more.
  7. frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    I am not "comfortable" with my level of playing...yet. But I AM comfortable with my "techinque" I use to achieve that level. As long as it works for me.....I'll keep doing it. I've always believed that there is more than one way to get the job done.....:)
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    As long as you can PLAY what you HEAR in yo head...it's cool. For me, "my" '70s/'80s technique, for lack of a better word, wouldn't cut it for me today. Not for what's in my head...not for what I want to play. Not even close, either!
    What's interesting(to me)is that you mention Chris Squire & Ed mentions "playing improvised music" & "not something set that happens everytime". I do believe Squire has some pretty decent technique; that said...the knock on him is he doesn't do so well in a looser environment where one is expected to jam/improvise. So, (I guess)if Squire hasn't worked out something ad nauseum, he may have problems pulling something off when he's out of his element(?).
    Is it a technical "problem"? I dunno...

...my poster boy for "No Technique" is Chris "Nirvana" Novalesic(?)
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I tend to agree with this. That is, I am always striving to play better and I hear things that need better technique than I have. If I felt I was "just going through the motions" = comfortable; then I would give up playing, I think.

I obviously wouldn't try something "uncomfortable" at a gig, but as others have said, the trick is to push yourself when practicing - there's no point in practising things you already know or are "confortable" with anyway. I then find that the technique ideas filter into your playing gradually and you apply it to your playing at gigs or wherever.

I don't think I will ever stop learning, as there are always so many musicians out there trying new things and attempting stuff that hasn't been done before - and there are just as many you probably haven't heard who have done things in the past which are inspiring.
  10. frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    JimK.....You are right about Chris' playing technique. And thinking about it....I do tend to stick to ONE way of playing when improvising. So perhaps it has something to do with the familiarity of what we are playing that dictates the technique(s) we use.
  11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the biggest problem i have found for my in my "jeet kune do" technique is that i tend to favor playing certain passages that lend themselves to the way i play. this is bad, technique should be transparent, not impacting on note choices. so i work on this.
  12. frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    How much of our "technique" which seems to be determining our choices.....is our own personal style? And if we change it....how much does that affect our musical voice?
  13. frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    Not at all Ed. But the notes do come form our minds...through our fingers, so it seems that SHOULD be included in the creative factor.
    In MY case...I think it is just a matter of concentrating more on the notes, rather than technique, of a new piece.....and being relaxed when becoming more familiar with it.
    I never seem to have these problems when I played trumpet...:)
  14. Bruce Lindfield

In the ultimate situation, technique should be irrelevant, in that you can play anything in any position, equally as comfortably. So the nearer you get to this ideal state, the **more** you will actually be hearing your own musical voice and what your brain thinks is appropriate to play in that situation - and the **less** you will actually be hearing something that is determined by the limitations of your technique.

This is probably the same as Ed is saying but in a slightly different way....
  15. frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    I think what we are all saying in our own way (style)...:)
    is that we should have full command of our "technique" in order to "speak" with a full vocabulary.

16. LowEndBassPLayer

Aug 15, 2000
    Hey, the way i figure it, Technique is however you yourslef plays. if you play with one, two, or three fingers, than that's how you play and that's you technique.
  17. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    hey wow, "you is what you is" (just funnin' with the bad use of language...if you know what i mean. But I guess i'm too hung up on the word "Improvement" to define technique as a static or solid term. Just cuz you is dont mean you should always be.
  18. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    I just use whatever is necessary to get the job done. It depends mostly on the style of song I am playing at the time.
  19. SavageBass16

Aug 23, 2000
    I usually alternate pick that is what I was taught, that alternate picking between your index finger and middle finger. try not using your thumb, rest your thumb on the E string if not in use. If it is in use rest your thumb on the pickup. and when picking pick wioth the meaty part of the tip of the finger... if you know what I meant
  20. Bruce Lindfield

Why not use your thumb? It's there and it can help with a lot of things. I use mine constantly for muting, playing parts of chords or artificial harmonics. To ignore this, juts seems a waste to me or an inefficient technique.